There's Magic in the Fur!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am

They're a fantastic idea aren't they?! I wish I lived in an area more suited to them. But, we do have a few pubs in the area that has a book swap shelf. Actually the pub I'm going to tonight has one so I'll take along a book or two!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am

That works! Really, any venue will do the job. Our library has a set up where some of our deleted books are available at certain non-library locations (can't remember exactly where) with take home & return on the honor system. It's no big deal if we don't get the books back at all since they're deleted.

The first thing that popped into my head was how do you get the post into the ground firmly. I'm not handy at all. 'Course, I'm 5 min. away from the library where I work & at our branch alone we have several thousand books. But in spite of good library service in our metropolitan area, there are bunches of Little Libraries around according to the website map.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 am

It IS the owl and the pussycat on the roof! I read the poem to Ian when we got married!!!

Fancy that! A Little Free Library near you, Bookfan! Fab!! The posts, Ian dug down 2' then used cement powder that you then pour water into and it sets! Then the box was fastened to the posts with some framework the next day. It's a heavy box and even heavier with books in!

And one in the pub, another great idea, Jaycey!

We've had BBC radio here today to record a feature about it!!! And a couple more people dropped books off, people I'd never met even though they live in the village! It's all about sharing/community/giving! Oh and a friend came with her grandchildren earlier, they got a free piggy-petting session as well as some new books :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:49 am

"they got a free piggy-petting session"

Oh my goodness, what a bonus!

It was so cool to see that little barn red library on a post, just like in the pictures. I wonder how much "traffic" it gets. This is not a walking-friendly area, except for just around your own little neighborhood. Everyone drives everywhere.

I counted 37 in our metropolitan area, but most are in areas that are organized city-like, ie walking-friendly with a large, connected street grid.

Digging a 2' hole...cement powder...we'd have to hire someone. :P

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd like to set up a free library near our driveway. There are only 5 families on the street, and it's not really a walking area. It's a pretty quiet street since we live 5 miles out of town, but I still think it would work. One family has a dog sitting business so we do get some traffic at times. Three of the homes have children of various ages, so I think it could be something they would enjoy.

I'll give it a try if I can get my brother to build it. We can stick posts into the ground, but neither of us is capable of building a water-proof box with glass door(s).

We used to donate our books to various places around town when we lived in Juneau. You could barely walk into a building without seeing a lending library somewhere. Down here not so much.

Husband isn't really into driving places just to give away books. Maybe one of my getting-out goals could be to make him take me around. Or, to make him feel like it might be worthwhile, we have a couple of used bookstores around town that we could take the books to. Ours always still look like new when we finish them.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Bookfan, I wouldn't have been able to dig holes myself - but part of the Little Free Library ethos is 'community'. Asking someone to help would make them feel involved!

Even on a small scale I personally think the Little Library would work, and make your neighbours smile! There are some simple plans on the Little Free Library website for building your own, or you can purchase one from them. We didn't use glass in the door of ours, we bought a sheet of plexiglass. If it starts to go cloudy we will replace it with toughened glass I expect.

If anyone is thinking about their own Little Free Library I would urge you to read all the info on their website! If you don't go ahead it still make for interesting reading!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Google it too -- there so many ways to do it without building a standard library structure. Mine is an old newspaper box.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 pm

I LOVE those old newspaper box Little Free Libraries!

Rebelfemme2

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 pm

This whole thing sounds like a great idea, it definitely grabbed my attention. Where I am, we have something similar in the city. There's a tree, into which shelves have been cut, and benches and flowers and such. People bring books to swap, or just to deposit, and in the summer you can sit and read under said tree. It's an honour system, and it works well.

I'd love to have one of your little libraries close to where I live.

poppycorn

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Oh gosh Mildred, next time I'm up I'll bring a couple of goodies up (ie BOOKS!) (ie more than a couple because I HAVE TONNES!)

Give me a message on facebook sometime about when you're free - I'm only actually in Lincoln for the next couple of months then I'm back up north for Summer and then I'm moving down to KENT! (!) :(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:36 am

"Even on a small scale I personally think the Little Library would work, and make your neighbours smile!"

Yes indeed, Mildred. GrannyJu1, I think that would be a great idea for your street.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:49 am

i think it would be a good idea too. Go for it!