Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks, Talishan. I'll give him a call asap.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Talked with vet a few days ago. He agrees that the tiniest dose would be ok, but thinks holding using it until she actively shows signs of pain, as she did the day I gave her a couple of drops of the Metacam. He doesn't want to use anything else until she's a lot worse.

Still no dental x-ray machine, but after spending well over a couple of hours across about 3 phone calls, I don't think he'll forget to notify me when it arrives. He probably cringes when his girlfriend/receptionist says I'm on the phone. Fortunately, I can tell that SHE likes me, my attitude, and my feelings for animals.

He's also doing some research on a new California company that is making some digestive tablets for guinea pigs. If they do end up looking good to him, he'll put some on his shelves to sell.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:44 pm

GranJu, something that might help make her more comfortable is a lizzard heating pad. They're low heat, and guinea pig sized.

I made a point of putting ours in with no pigs present so they wouldn't all run over for a look. You can hide the cord discreetly by cutting a slit in the coroplast, threading the cord through it and then covering the heater with the cage liner and blankies.

I also used a automotive wiring cover to prevent chewing any other places a pig may be able to grab ahold of. Ask the Mr. he may have some he can root up for you, if he's automotively inclined. Otherwise all auto stores or Amazon has it, in pretty colors even.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:55 pm

I bought one of those ceramic plates you heat in the microwave and it has a fleece (or something similar) cover for protection. I think I put it under her once, but she's a mover and didn't want to really settle down on it. Peekaboo, on the other hand, really wanted to pancake down, but he's my most nervous pig so while he did sink down, no pancakes for me! Maybe the way to work this is to put 2 pads in the cage so one is always available for Fuzz.

Did you mean electrical tape, or is there some other heavier cover.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:21 pm

No, its a tough plastic tube with a slit all the way down its length to slip the wire into. Its slightly larger then a cord and bends if you need it to. I originally used it to keep the parrot from biting lamp cords on our end table.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:26 pm

like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Support-Split-Fle ... B00U8L9WUK

the diameter looks a little large, but comes in many sizes. Automotive stores may sell by the foot, too.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:02 pm

GREAT! Thanks, Wheek! I know what you're talking about now, and I'm ON it! ;o)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:03 am

Sunday a friend and I were watching the pigs and saw Fuzz drop some soft green poos, instead of bending and grabbing. She then turned around and ate them. I really do think she can't bend to pull them out the normal way.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:21 pm

However she gets them, as long as she gets them. ;-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 pm

While trying to cut Fuzz's claws by myself today, I cut one too short. When it began to bleed, I opened the styptic powder to stick her foot in and the powder was a rock, not powder. Apparently it got moist sometime in the last month. While poor Fuzz was bleeding all over the pad she was on, I attempted to loosen it enough to get a little powder. I managed, but just barely and I don't think it works anymore. I just found 2 more large bloody spots where she's been laying. One is pinky fingernail size the other slightly smaller. I think it's finally quit bleeding, but now I'm worried about infection. What would the signs be? I assume heat would be one, but what are others? Should I just take her to the vet tomorrow "in case"?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Watch for swelling of the toe. Any discharge from the nail; reddening of the toe, or heat.

In my experience she'll likely be fine. But keep an eye on the tissue of the toe closest to the nail for any developments.

Could you just call your vet and ask what they think? Then you can take her in if they think it's needed. My guess is that they won't, but it'd probably help you feel a bit better.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks, Talishan. The only reason I worry a little bit is because Fuzz is the one with the chronic soft poos, and it did bleed a fair amount. :'o(