JoeJoe's medical thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Awesome. Just awesome. :-)

If the breathing harshness has cleared by now, it was probably from the anaesthesia and should not return.

If this vet isn't on our list, please give Lynx the info to have them added. Dr. Follet and her practice sound just great.

https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... _Wisconsin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

A good vet is valuable indeed!

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Yes, Lynx..worth the price too!! JoeJoe is wanting her favorite fruit, a small strawberry so I must get going before she wheeks any louder!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm glad JoeJoe is on the mend.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Me too CCC. The last couple of days I haven't been sleeping well at all. Now I think I can finally get a good nights rest.

Lynx, how do I add Dr. Follett and her clinic? There are no veterinary practices under Wisconsin.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I don't know :-(

Some time back I disabled the ability to add new pages (removed some code) because it was getting so badly spammed (I spent a whole afternoon tracking down new pages that were spam and deleting them). If the page isn't there, I don't know how to make a new page. I wish I did.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:47 am

Oh crud! Well I highly recommend Dr. Follett and her crew. I told them I would be bringing some donuts over for them to enjoy as I am sure there are days they are so busy and sitting down to eat is not going to happen.
I will also write a thank-you letter for their wonderful care. I think with Dr. Follett, she believes less is often more. For example when JoeJoe was making those congested type noises, we could have given her Baytril as a preventative, but with no fever and the lungs sounded clear and the fact that in just one day she made great progress in her recovery, why give the Baytril; it would lead to digestive problems anyway.

Dr. Follett thinks these situations through. I knew that if JoeJoe was to become uncomfortable, Dr Follett would have given me something else for break-through. She didn't want to mess with JoeJoe's digestive system any further than what it had already been messed with. Hence the reason why I wasn't sent home with an antibiotic.

JoeJoe is doing well, eating and drinking and being her cheeky demanding self. I had overslept as her pain medication was to be given at 8 this morning, but I managed to sleep until 8:30! I nearly panicked but JoeJoe was clearly not in any discomfort what so ever.

JoeJoe is doing a bit more scratching then usual. Especially scratching with her teeth on both sides of her sides where the incisions are. I checked them both and they look fine. She is not bothered by her abdominal incision at this time.

I tried to put some coconut oil on her and when I got the jar out, put some on my hand and began to touch her, she freaked. She did not want any part of having that oil on her. If I would have continued, I would have been chasing her all around my lap, which I didn't want to do.

She wasn't in pain as she had her pain medication an hour prior. I think when I opened the jar, maybe the sound freaked her out. She did settle down quickly with reassurance from me.

Anyway right now she is busy moving a hay pile around the cage to find her favorite pieces.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 am

I'm simply thrilled. For both of you, LOL!

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I forgot to mention that her congested breathing has stopped completely. I don't know if this had anything to do with her starting to drink from her water bottle, but once she started drinking on her own, the congested breathing silenced!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Crazy4me, I think there's a sticky for vet recommendations you could add your vet to.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks Lynx, I will have to figure out how I can add my vet; the link Talishan gave me shows the Wisconsin vet recommendations but has none on there. How would I go about adding my recommendation? I tried the edit button but it stated I don't have permission to edit the page.

I think the old vet sticky page has my recommendation of Dr Follett and her practice, if I am not mistaken.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 pm

The one I linked to was a wiki. If the old vet recommendations sticky has Dr. Follett, that's good.

If additional fluid intake took care of the raspiness and JoeJoe's lungs were clear on stethoscope, it will have been residual tackiness/irritation from the anaesthesia. Very wise of Dr. Follett to hold off on the Baytril. Our pig that needed it was audibly harsh by stethoscope, so that was a different circumstance.

Carry on and keep us posted.

Edit: I can't find Dr. Follett's name with a quick search, so I'd encourage you to put her information on the 'old' thread.

Lynx, is there any chance the veterinary wiki could be fixed, or replaced? It's a very, very, VERY valuable resource.