One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:24 am

you have been through so much and your piggies too. Hugs

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Yesterday when I was cleaning cages, my SO walked through, paused to say something and dropped a coin. The floors are ceramic tile, so you can imagine the noise it made, and what that did to the "kids". Up until that moment, Flossie had been peacefully snoozing in a carry sack and Scatter was head deep in hay. Post coin-dropping:

ImageScaredy Scatter 2.14.16

Look at the poor guy's eyes! Even worse, this is a small carry sack and Flossie is STILL IN IT!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:19 am

Oh poor Flossie! She got squished. I hope both piggies told your other half off with some good chattering.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 pm

No, Scatter was too traumatized, and poor Flossie never knew what hit her, just that it was big, dark and smelled like that pesky cagemate she has. She did give HIM some teeth chattering though, heeheehee.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:55 am

ooo the teeth chattering. Chock only does that when there are strange people outside that he thinks shouldnt be in his teritory.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:00 pm

I’d had her name picked out months before we ever found her. For some reason “The Boxcar Twins” popped into my head about that time and I think the younger of the two little girls was named Flossie. When I was reading the books in grade school, her name struck me as strange, but I’d forgotten it for 100 years, then suddenly remembered it. Maybe it was her calling to me when she was conceived. ;o) At any rate, Flossie she became.

It seemed to suit her, sweet and tough at the same time. My husband and I both fell in love with the tiny little being. Six weeks old when she came to us, we were used to the comparative monsters the boys were. Floss didn’t even cover the palm of a hand.

Two weeks after she arrived, I went back to Juneau to await the birth of our third grandson. I was super excited but worried about how Flossie would manage with my husband. I shouldn’t have. He had a great time, and I think he actually enjoyed handling her to make sure she stayed socialized. I received a text one night saying he’d forgotten to pick up some lunchmeat while at the grocery store. His solution:
ImageMike's dinner Sept 2013

I can just imagine what she’s thinking, but I hoped he didn’t let her nibble on the bread, hahaha. I didn’t get any pictures of the boys, but he assured me he was treating them appropriately, too. *-*

She was quarantined in the little pet store cage, but she was so young and small, I figured that was ok. Soon the boys would be neutered and she’d join one of them in a much larger cage. Meanwhile she had fleece to hide under during the day and a wood hut at night. She was (and is) just so adorable. The white blaze up her nose turned into a streak that ran between her ears then on down her neck. Just at her right shoulder blade, it takes a sharp 90 degree turn and runs down to her throat. That was and is, her most distinctive physical feature, but her personality is still the loving one she had when we got her. When we took her for her first vet exam, during the “heart listen”, the vet told us she’d never seen such a calm guinea pig before. Now that she’s developed the Pea/Fatty eye, I wonder if it wasn’t just the first manifestation of heart disease. I guess I should have her x-rayed even if it just turns out to only provide us with a baseline of the condition of her heart. If it does turn out that there is something abnormal, getting her on medication sooner versus later would probably be a good thing.

I’d planned on getting the boys neutered as soon as we found suitable girls to put in with them, but strangely enough, there was a shortage of girl guinea pigs at the time. Then about December 1st, we got a call. To their total surprise, one of the pet store pigs had suddenly given birth, and they told me to come down and pick one out. The pups were still too young for anyone to accurately sex, but I looked into that dark cage and saw one little pig that looked like it had a white horn, rhinoceros style. I met what I hoped and prayed would be my next baby girl, working name: Scruffy.
ImageFuzzbutt #1 12.5.13

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:31 pm

What absolutely adorable guinea pigs!

And what a naughty husband you have!

Breadfan4

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:36 pm

That sandwich picture is hysterical!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:55 am

Scruffy is adorable!!!!!!! What sort of coat does she have? Glad I have not pignapped Flossie yet. Now I can pignap Scruffy at the same time as she just melts the heart! Little one toes and nose, I think I am in LOVE! As to Flossie think she's thinking silly Daddy but comfy pillow.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 am

aww bless. Shame i cant see all their cute faces.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:03 pm

I think Flossie has finally accepted the inevitable: She and Scatter have been laying pretty close together the last few days! Or maybe she''s sick. She let me pet her on 3 different occasions already today. Usually I have to force myself on her. I'll be a lot happier if she's a lot happier with my choice for her. I'll have to keep an eye on her to make sure there isn't something going on with her physically.

Scruffy actually became Fuzzbutt, but she's still super cute. If the teddy is the fuzzy/frizzy breed, that's what she is. She's a pretty big little girl - has on at least one occasion touched 1300 grams. Better bring a big cage for her. And when you put her in the cage with any other pig, be prepared for some eardrum-piercing shrieks for a day or 2. Solid day or 2. Solid HOURS of it.

Maddy, it is a shame, but try to picture this. A huge ball of black dryer lint (or cat or dog hair) with legs and 2 cute little beady black eyes. Make the right rear hip white (and the leg too,) plus 2 white front feet. Then give the lint ball a white streak starting just above the nose and going up between the eyes. Now make the fuzz on the face all different lengths so the white stripe looks like a rhinoceros horn. That's my Fuzzball, err, Fuzzbutt.

Forgot to add: Just after we brought her home, Fuzz was also called "The Mangler". For good reason. On more than one occasion, she broke the skin when biting me.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 am

ooo you have a handful with her ladyship! Hope her and scatter get on ok.