Guinea Pig has scar under eye. I need advice.

Totally85

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Well let's see. I have two Guinea pigs. Their names are Mocha and Diablo. They're named after two of my favorite coffee drinks. Mocha has looked fine until tonight when I picked him up and noticed his eye had the scar. Despite them getting along well I guess they must've gotten into a fight? I need advice. These are my first two guineas. I need to know how bad this is. If I should separate them. I talked to a vet on the phone and they said it wouldn't require an emergency visit but if I'm still concerned I could go to the vet tomorrow when they're open.
I was gonna try to insert an image but I'm not really sure how to do that on this site.
[/img]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 pm

How large is your guinea pig cage? Males need quite a bit of space, and aggression is one of the main results of a cage that's too small.

To post a picture, you have to find an online host (Shutterfly, Photobucket, etc), and it has to be in a recognized picture format, such as a JPG file. Once it's uploaded, you put the URL of the picture between image tags, and .

Like this: Image Take out the spaces -- it just shows an error if I put the whole URL in.

Totally85

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 pm

I think the cage is too small. I am pretty sure it is. Since it was too small, I had a pretty nice sized play area blocked off for the guineas so that they could have that whole area in addition to the cage. However, I stopped that just a few days ago because it was beginning to get too messy even though I cleaned it pretty often. Do you know where I can buy a reasonably sized cage? Or should I just get a separate cage for Mocha?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 pm

You don't want separate cages -- guinea pigs need buddies. But I'd reopen the play area until I could get a bigger cage.

You can find instructions on building a C&C cage at www.guineapigcages.com, and more information at https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials

Totally85

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Ok. Thanks. I'll do that.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 pm

That Midwest cage is usually ok for two females, but we've had several people at GPC who found that it doesn't work for two males.

lisam

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:54 pm

I don't think this warrants a vet visit unless it's still open and bleeding, or becomes swollen or weeps fluid or pus.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Ditto lisam.

Bpatters -- I thought the Midwest cages were expandable. Is that not the case?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 pm

I don't know about expandable, Talishan. I know some people have put them together with ramps, which don't always work with males.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Okay. I thought you could buy additional panels for them and make them larger. The one Amazon sells is, iirc, a little larger than a 2x3, which won't cut it for younger male pairs.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1