More adorable babies in Michigan!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I again am fostering some babies for Rabbit and Small Animal Rescue in Westland, Michigan. I'd like to get a GL home for them if possible, especially after the happy ending last time. (Thanks mapleowl!!)

Here is the story. A family bought two female guinea pigs from a pet store. We all know what happened next. They woke up to a baby (or maybe two). They promptly removed the father, but it was already too late. The mom, Snickers, was already pregnant a second time, even though she is very young too. They kept the dad (and a son?) and gave the pregnant mom and her older baby, Cashew, to RASA.

Here is Snickers (right) and Cashew (left): ImageIMG_2442 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

They are not much older than the babies and also are available for adoption.

The second time, Snickers had........

ImageIMG_2473 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Not just one, but ....

ImageIMG_2483 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Well, not just two but.....

ImageIMG_2502 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

and......

ImageIMG_2509 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Actually, Snickers had five babies, but the only girl, a small all white Aby died while they were with another foster. (The baby didn't have red eyes, so I assume she wasn't a lethal white, true? The mom is a roan, correct?) A necropsy showed underdeveloped lungs.
She was the smallest and last to be born.

They've been named Peanut, Walnut (Wally), Pistachio (Stan) and Filbert (Bertie). Their sister was Macadamia. I've only had them a day, so I don't know much about the personalities and I don't even know which name goes with which one yet. We've been calling them Grey, Blackie, Brownie and TC (for tri-color). I have observed that Blackie is bold and curious while Brownie is the shy one. Blackie is usually the first to explore something new, followed closely by TC.

For size comparisons - the box in the pictures is a tangerine box and the red hut is a hamster hut.

I'll post some close up pictures in the next day or two.

The adopter will have to go through Rabbit and Small Animal rescue. We won't list them on Petfinders for a week or so in hopes that we can find a GL home. I am in Detroit and can drive to Toledo, western Michigan etc. While I'd like to adopt them together, I suppose they will be put up for adoption in groups of two, but first, I'd like to figure out who gets along with whom.

I think they were born in mid-January. I'll get the exact date.

Oh, as long as we are on the subject - here is my other adoptable foster (in tact) boy, the stunning 1.5 year old Twinkie:

ImageIMG_2282 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Who loves his chin scritches:

ImageIMG_2276 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Such cuties!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Oh, they sure are!!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:00 pm

I forgot to mention that I am driving to Boston from Detroit in mid-March and could bring some piggies to Boston or meet someone along the way.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Here are the individual photos I promised.

First, the black one who is the bold and curious leader of the pack:

ImageIMG_2459 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2567 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Then, both ends of the Tri-color one (saxy legs and all):

ImageIMG_2559 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2513 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

Then the grey one and finally, the very shy brown one:

ImageIMG_2524 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2457 by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Man, they are really cute.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Some good news! Twinkie went to a very nice family. His new cagemate was lonely since he had just lost his brother/long time cagemate. He and Twinkie hit it off pretty quickly.

Imageimage by SkittleandTwix, on Flickr

The babies are going to be listed on Petfinder.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 pm

That's super!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

cadrhys

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Hey! I just saw your post and am from Boston and looking to adopt a pair of peegs. Not sure if you've already driven over or not but I figured I'd ask!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Wow, they are all so adorable. Great job finding a home for Twinkie! I hope those cute babies are snapped up with good homes soon (or one home? A girl can dream!).

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:22 pm

cadrhys - Sorry, I arrived back from Boston the day before you posted.

Snowflakey - I have the same dream. The brothers seem to all get along and have fun racing around together.