Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

hbee

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:19 am

My Niko who is 2 1/2 yr old sow has had blood in her urine for 3 weeks now. Took her to the vet as soon as I saw blood and she had her x-rayed for stones but nothing showed up. Vet gave us Baytril for 2x a day for 3 weeks but Niko still has bloody urine. It's not a lot but some spots daily. I'm concerned this could be uterine rather than bladder related. Anyone else had this problem in a piggy?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:52 am

It could be from the reproductive system, but Bactrim is usually more effective for a bladder infection than Baytril.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:43 am

Ditto bpatters. I recommend having a culture and sensitivity test done on her urine to rule out infection. Constant blood in the urine can also be caused by sludge. Is her urine gritty or have a lot of white calcium deposits in it?

npcout

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:41 am

My Lucie had frank red blood in her urine which was caused by a tumor in the trigon of her bladder shown on ultrasound. She suffered severe hemorrhagic cystitis and went for several ultrasound guided cystocentesis as she also suffered from a multi-drug resistant UTI and needed frequent subq fluids for the remainder of her life.

Bella had blood her her urine, more pinkish in color due to sludge build up as evidence by X-ray, Ultrasound, and Elevated specific gravity levels. She also had an ultrasound guided cysto which found the sludge in the bladder. We would see clots of sludge after she would pee and witness her squeal when peeing every now and then.

We treated the initial possibility of a UTI from irritation and scraping of sludge with bactrim and solved the long term issue with using a BRITA water filter and switching from oxbow to KMS pellets. Its been months, never seen sludge since!

hbee

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 pm

After 21 days of antibiotics, Niko was still "spotting" so tonight I called the vet to inquire on getting an appointment tomorrow. The vet told me to take Niko to the emergency clinic and the on call exotics vet would meet me there. It was confirmed that there is a mass approximately 2 x 1 cm in the caudal abdomen. He suspects it could be a uterine growth as it is adjacent to the bladder. Following up with vet in the next week - they gave me Meloxicam for her inflammation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Hoping for the best for him!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Please keep us posted.

hbee

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:04 am

I forgot to mention that Niko has developed two bald patches on each side of her right in front of her legs that are dry and rough - she had these before that cleared up with some aloe. I am putting coconut oil on them and we will see if her fur grows back this time :( I know that this is a symptom of hormonal issues...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:25 am

Sounds like ovarian cysts to me.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Ovarian cysts usually don't cause the hairless patches to be dry and rough; they're usually just hairless, but completely smooth.

That said, symptoms of hormone imbalances vary widely and greatly. Combined with the bleeding I would definitely want an ultrasound for her, and the sooner the better.

hbee

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Calling the vet in the morning to find out when I can get her in. Problem is, when I took her to the Emergency clinic, I cashed out her vet fund and only have a little left :( I don't want to wait but I may have to

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 am

How about a picture?