Uterine Bleeding -- pyometra? cysts? surgery?

lisam

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:03 pm

Amidala is home now, and seems perky, and is eating and drinking as we speak. I was a little disappointed in the staff there--they had given her water in a dish (she had spilled it all over) and the food was full of seeds and colorful bits. Next time I will be more prepared and take her own food and water bottle.

The vet took a picture of her uterus and ovaries, and gave me a copy. The cysts were quite huge, and filled with fluid that he said was almost pure estrogen.

My vet also said that even with an ultrasound you often wind up doing the surgery anyway.

Very interesting about analyzing the discharge.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:16 pm

I thought so too. If you check out the link in the reference forum about the guy who developed the pap smear, it mentions how much information can be obtained from shed cells. I wonder if any vets do this. He developed the technique apparently because he couldn´t tell when the guinea pigs he was working with were in heat.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 8:49 pm

It should be 3 days very restricted movement - not 5 days.

Sorry, numbers mean nothing to me and it took a while for this to register.

From an old post:

Try to keep Pepper as quiet as possible to reduce the risk of
adhesions forming. Our vet recommends 3 days restricted movement (carrying
case) and 4 days with no jumping or climbing. Adhesions are scar tissue
forming around surgical wounds. They don´t happen to every pig - but we
did lose one to them a few years ago after she was spayed. Now we
exercise extreme caution with major surgery post-op pigs

Since ours are free range and have a multilevel condo, we have to take particular care in movement restriction. A pig in a regular cage might just have to bypass floortime for a few days after the initial movement restriction. Adhesions may not happen and probably won´t, but having experienced them once, I personally won´t take any chances. If I´d never had a pig die from them, I wouldn´t take these precautions, but having had one die, I now do everything possible to make sure it doesn´t happen again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:22 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I don´t know where I got the 5 days from (I keep telling people I am getting old -- and now I´m afraid they will believe me) but I thought you said that somewhere.

Snowflake has a sleeping shelf they jump up onto and bathrooms they jump into so I am guessing I had better make sure she doesn´t jump for a while. But I´ll give her more level room to move around.

lisam

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:56 pm

ttt for Sonia