Suzi has a UTI or something

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:01 am

I took her out with less struggling than before, gave her her Bactrim and Metacam and syringed her some water since she wasn't drinking much. She has one small spot of bloody mucus in the cage; should I worry a lot about this?

Her incision is a lot crustier this time around, but I didn't feel like messing with it.

At some point this evening she decided she needed to dump out some pellets and poop in them, but her poops were nice and normal looking.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:35 am

She has a little tray (Einy and Jackie's old bowl) with peachypellets in one side and CC in the other. She ate some CC, but got really excited when I put a syringe of pellet mash in the grids. She went over and ate 8ml of pellet mash without having to be picked up or anything, and then finished it off with some hay and tomato and even water. (She's mad at the water bottle, though. It displeases her.)

She has her heating pad in her hidey house, 5 different kinds/forms of pellet-type foods (Cavy Cuisine, Forti-Diet, because I'm in the process of switching; Critical Care, peachy pellets, and pellet mash), four kinds of vegetables (tomatoes, bell pepper, parsley, and carrot), and hay. Plus, she gets to kiss Doom through the bars and scare Cuddles.

SandraVE

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:36 am

I think it's so cute when they eat from the syringe without even picking them out of the cage. They know good food when they see it. It's a great sign that she's hungry too.

Why so many different brands of pellets?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:39 am

Yes. She dropped a little of it (out of the corners of her mouth) but was much better about it than Einstein (who insists on filling his mouth with mash and then winds up dropping it when he chews) or Doom (who likes to spit out half the mash for no good reason).

Oh, and she peed. If the water level in her bottle isn't lower in the morning, I'm going to syringe her more water with her morning Bactrim.

SandraVE

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:41 am

Why do you say she is mad at the water bottle? Is it in a different position than normal? Is she having trouble with it?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:47 am

It's not her normal water bottle. She goes up to it and beats it against the side of the cage and then drinks from it. I think she got some water out of it but I think she's mainly infuriated that it's not The One True Water Bottle.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:33 am

The eating is very encouraging. I hope she recovers well.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:08 pm

My little brat seems to have a diet of hay, pellets, tomatoes, and stitches. She's pulled at least one out, and though it's not gaping, I would like her re-stitched. Is there anything I can do at home for her, like a butterfly bandage, to keep her until Monday? Also, a little bit of the skin on the edges of the incision is grayish-brown, and she keeps going and chewing on something on her abdomen. Should I take her in as an emergency today, or what?

Sometimes she isn't the brightest little girl....

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:32 pm

Can you make her a "lampshade" collar like they put on dogs until someone comes along with a better answer?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:02 pm

How? I can only find mention of people using them, not how to make them.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:06 pm

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:17 pm

You can also get hold of a product called Chew Guard.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:45 pm

AROUND the incision site only. Not ON it.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:37 pm

And I get this where? Considering I can't even get antibiotics for myself at 6pm on a Saturday, do you really think I could possibly get a lampshade collar or a bottle of Chew Guard tonight?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:52 pm

You'll have to fashion your own lampshade color from an old plastick milk container. Perhaps you can somehow pad the edge along the neck (use yarn to wrap it, pierce the plastic and keep looping it along -- I don't know what the technical word is -- overcaste the edge?). Just make sure it isn't too tight. This will take some experimentation on your part.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:02 pm

What do you think would be a good width of plastic for the collar? And what kind of angle?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:06 pm

Put your fingers around her neck to try to guess at a diameter. Perhaps try a couple inches beyond that (try less if it seems too long -- you can adjust this after fitting it, I think). Make it a round circle, cut the neck out, make a radial cut and overlap the collar to make it cupped shaped.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:09 pm

Take a look at this:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/medical.htm

I'm displaying Teresa's pig with a collar on.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:13 pm

Ah, you could put a couple layers of a heavy adhesive tape on the neck edge to help protect the throat.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:46 pm

Suzi has no neck, and she's highly offended about the collar.

561 posts