Indoor Grass

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:54 pm

If you use malathion, you have to have the tree outside. At least that´s what I was told. The pesticide is not labeled for use inside a house. I once sprayed some buggy plants and had to rinse them all off because I was told it was unwise to have the sprayed tree in my house. You wouldn´t have this problem with dormant oil.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:32 pm

Wouldn´t dormant oil kill all the foilage?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:58 pm

That´s where you read the bottle and use the correct dilution. I suspect you could also hand spray the trunk and underside of leaves to smother some of the scale with no harm to the plant. Also, the bugs should smother pretty quickly. Maybe let them suffer for as long as it takes to swill a few glasses of wine and then rinse the plant off in the shower.

Worth a shot, anyway.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:05 pm

The scale is on the top and the bottom of the leaves.

I´ve totally rinsed them off the leaves but they are back within 24 hours. I think I actually need something toxic on the surface of the leaves to kill the ones that come back.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:07 am

Pinta, Malathion is an organophosphorus insecticide, it causes neurological damage. It doesn´t kill the scale underneath the shells, only the newly hatching or eggs. Alternate forms of control would be horticultural oils, or swabbing with alcohol or using a toothbrush. You could also use a 50% alcohol spray. I guess it is time you get into the liquor cabinet.