Nutmegs thread medical

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 1:42 am

Came home today and saw this near nutmegs eye it's very concerning. I'm not sure if it's a case of fungal like acorns. And if so how do I treat her since it's so close to her eye? Fungal is a pest and my husband isn't having it. And claims he wants to just get rid of them saying it isnt fair for the.i think he just doesn't want to do take care of then anymore. It makes me sad. Image[/img]

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 2:17 am

Also how could she have gotten the fungal of it is when my other with fungal has been separated, I use gloves constantly wash my hands and anything the other one came in contact with?

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 2:44 am

Ugh looks like they might all have it chestnut now has some dryness around her ear just one ear on the outside and inside of the ear

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 am

I don't know if this would be helpful to you - it is about a guinea pig with a much more serious condition but there are similarities. Something in it may help you.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=96

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 9:17 am

@lynx thank you for the thread. It's not that bad I'm hoping to stop it now from getting worse. Should I treat topically?

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:11 am

Also I have them both separated together both nutmeg and chestnut since chestnut has dryness on her ear and nutmeg by her eye. And keeping a close eye on mocha bear for any symptoms

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 am

Here is a much brighter image of nutmegs eye Image

[/img]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:43 am

Fungal spores can last for years, so it's not surprising that the infection has spread.

You can treat with the creams listed here: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Apply sparingly with a q-tip and rub in well. Avoid the eye itself.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 am

@bpatters

Even if I cleaned everything thoroughly? I always give their cage a good wipe down. I'm thinking that my piggies probably had it since acorn first sowed, but they might've not been it that badly with the fungal that they didn't show anything until now. I just feel so bad for them I separated by chestnut and nutmeg away and mocha bear is having a fit that I tok her buddies away. But I said it's for the better I'm keeping an eye on mocha .

Ad it's OK to treat nutmeg topically? If so that's great because I stocked up on creams since acorn and acorn really hasnt been needing to use it all

What a pain but at least I know how to treat it now :/

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 am

I'd put them all back together. They've all already been exposed, and the stress on the lone pig may be enough to bring on a fungal infection.

Yes, you can treat Nutmeg topically if you're careful to keep the meds out of her eye. If you'd be more comfortable going to the vet, I'm sure you could get some oral medication.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 11:53 am

@batters even if mocha bear isn't showing any signs of fungal?

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 am

And thank you bpatters for always replying so quickly