Nutmegs thread medical

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 12:18 pm

I'd put them all back together. They've all already been exposed, and the stress on the lone pig may be enough to bring on a fungal infection.
I'm not a big supporter of separating pigs unless one has an infection that threatens the life of another. By the time you know one has an infection, the other has already been exposed. Pigs that live together don't like to be separated, and the stress can lower the immune system.

It's your choice, of course, but if they were mine I'd never have separated them.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 12:45 pm

@bpatters ok of course. The last thing I want is for her immune system to get shot she's already had Uri and fungal as well

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

@bpattersalso I have them on fleece how should I change this out and is there another option to put them on? Also what should I clean there cage with and how opften? Also how often to wash the fleece if I can keep them in the fleece. And if I wash it will it kill the ringworm with every wash?

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Also what's your opinion on holding them? I always give them attention but I know it's contagious and especially since there's spores as well.

And floor time? I have carpet should I refrain from floor time until they are better? And also since hey all have ringworm there been on the carpet, should I clean the carpets as well? My husband and I have them in our room and we walk barefoot 😓😰😨😵

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 9:50 pm

Often when people do the laundry, they add a little bleach. Bleach is perfect because it will kill the mold spores. Don't put bleach on your carpets though. You could contact a rug cleaning place and see what they recommend for mold that is safe for your rug. A solid surface will work better for you.

I tend to think you don't have to worry all that much. Do general cleaning and that will likely suffice.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 9:58 pm

Thank you for the response lynx. Sorry about the double thread just trying to get answers quickly so I can do everything right away

Riahrae

Post   » Tue May 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Also can I hold them or should I leave them be until they are better?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 am

If it were me, I would hold them - but then, I've never had a fungal skin infection and don't know how problematic it would be. If you have sensitive skin, perhaps you could wear long gloves?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Okay. There's common, everyday fungal and there's ringworm. Ringworm is a fungus, yes, but it is much more long-lasting in carpets, etc., and it is transmissible to humans (and vice-versa).

Nothing you've posted looks like ringworm to me. Ringworm gets its name from the nearly circular hairless patches it causes. Common garden-variety fungal problems are not as severe, and they are just that -- common, garden variety problems.

1. Don't separate them. This doesn't warrant it. Keep them all together as normal. Treat this eye spot as bpatters suggests, and any ear spots as well. Basically do what worked for Acorn. Keep an eye on Mocha bear and do the same for her if and as necessary.

2. Normal, good husbandry will suffice just fine (ditto Lynx). Don't freak. A little (very little, it doesn't take much!) bleach in the laundry will help, but don't use very much of it, if any at all, in and around their cage. Guinea pigs HATE repeat HATE the smell of bleach and it will freak them out.

3. Handle and hold your pigs as normal. The only fungus transmissible to you or vice-versa is ringworm.

Please tell your husband this is a minor problem -- just part of properly caring for pets. (Wait until you have kids, if you don't already. They'll teach you right quick what's freak-worthy and what's not. ;-)

Fungal stuff is very common and can happen in the best cared-for households. That said, fungal problems are more frequent in damp environments. Do you have a ground-floor or basement apartment? Is your home in a damp environment, or a dry one? (Whereabouts are you? I.e., Inland Empire is a lot different from SF.)

Riahrae

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm

@talishan thank you for all your advice I'm less worried now.

I'm treating nutmeg and chestnut. I didn't separate them but I'm worried as the fact that chestnut had attacked mocha bear and took a good chunk of her hair out from her bum area. And I keep hearing squeals.

I live in a dry area its about 90-105 degrees but I have their cage cooled. And the room cooled as well. The only thing is that cage does et a little wet with the water bottle when they drink but never stays damp it's always dry.

I just want thembetter they're my babies. I constantly clean everything idk why they have fungus. But I guess like you said even the best well cared for gets it. It just sucks you know

But again thank you for the detailed advice. Really helpful

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:46 am

Use a cream and keep us posted.

This may fall into the "stuff happens" category. ;-)

Riahrae

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am

@talishan

Will do :)