Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

ph08fhf

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:37 pm

First a disclaimer that I recently had an experience with a tooth abscess so I may not be the most objective person.

Having said that, this sounds reminiscent of Roxy with her abscess. Is the lump movable? Does it feel like it is under the skin? Is she painful when it is manipulated? Does it feel hard and spherical? Or squishy?

Tooth involvement would be consistent with eating less and thus with change in poop output and consistency - though you note that she doesn't seem to be losing weight.

Weigh daily! That's really important.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 pm

The lump is hard and spherical, and it's barely moveable. If you really tried to move it, you could, but Rosie doesn't like being touched in that area and pushes me away. I don't know if that's because of disliking being touched, or from pain.

ph08fhf

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:01 pm

When Roxy had her abscess, a large (we are talking 1.5-2 inch), hard, spherical lump developed under her chin seemingly over night. She was still eating pretty well. I got her in to see the vet the next day and they operated the day after.

Others who have more experience can weigh in on whether a tooth abscess sounds possible (or whether my thoughts are coloured by my recent experience). I'd say she really needs to see a vet asap, so it's good that you have an appointment for her. They may well want to do some imaging of the area.

Keep us posted on what the vet says. Wishing you both the best.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:08 pm

If it's in the dewlap, it's not at all likely to be tooth abscess. Tooth abscesses are along the jaw line.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 am

Moki's abscess origin was along the jawline, but could be felt under the chin.

I think it's a possibility. Maybe not the likeliest one if the lump is further down, but a possibility.

Please let us know what the vet says. Best wishes and good luck to her.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 am

Thank you so much for all your help! Her vet appointment is at 1:30 (it's 6:30 now). I can't be there because I have finals all day, but my mom is keeping me posted. I'll definitely catch all of you up on what it is!

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Rosie has an abscess. She is getting it drained today and we have to do a lot to keep it clean, but that's to be expected. Thank you so much!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Will you be flushing it with a sterile saline solution? Will they put in a drain to help keep it open while it heals? Will they be giving antibiotics too?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:18 pm

We're doing warm compresses, antibiotics for 3 weeks, and cleaning with hibiclens.. Rosie is going to be separated from JJ (my other pig) for a couple of weeks

ph08fhf

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Abscesses need to heal from the 'inside out' so it's important, as Lynx says, that the wound it kept open. Use a syringe to squirt the cleansing solution right up into the abscess and be sure to keep everything very clean.

Also *very* important: weigh daily and monitor poop and pee output.

I'd also advise that you syringe feed critical care at least until her poops are back to normal. Given the location of the abscess, it may well be painful for her to eat, so it's important to keep her gut moving. You might also give a probiotic.

Good luck. Is she back from the vet yet? The site may look a little scary when she first comes home. Don't freak out if it does.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:25 pm

Yes, she's back home! I couldn't get a good look at the sight.. I didn't actually go to the vet with Rosie, because I had to prepare to go to Europe tomorrow.

We are syringe feeding her and doing that with antibiotics too

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm

This is the most effective syringe for flushing a warm sterile saline solution: