Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:54 pm

I will look into getting that, but I think my mom is doing most of the work for Rosie since I am going out of the country for a few weeks tomorrow. I'll show her the picture and see how everything goes from there.

As of right now, she's acting like her usual self, but she isn't squeaking (?) as much. I don't know how to describe that squeal, but it's when you crinkle a bag and they go crazy lol. She's kind of lethargic at the moment, maybe because she's tired from the vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Give your mom your password to this site, or have her make her own userid and identify herself as your mom. We'll be glad to help her with Rosie.

ph08fhf

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Keep an eye on her, but she's bound to be tired from the vet. I imagine they sedated her for the draining process?

Make sure that she is being weighed every day and fed critical care. They need a LOT of that stuff.

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 am

Hey, I had a similar experience earlier this year with my pig Violet. It was an adventure. I just wanted to second the flushing with saline instead of just warm compresses thing in case you're still thinking about sticking with the compresses. ;)

Also, a straight tipped syringe will do if you're unable to find the better, curved one.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:17 am

Ditto the advice you have received. Please don't hesitate to show your mom this site and give her your login. We'll be happy to help her.

Warm compresses won't cut it. The hole needs to be irrigated and flushed in order to heal properly from the inside out. It's not easy to do and the pig won't like it, but it's far and away the best way to get it to heal well, fully, and quickly.

Here's Violet's thread (start here). There's lots of good care information and techniques here:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 73#2230573

Good luck, and best to Rosie. Have a great time in Europe!!

Gracemackenz

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:20 pm

This morning I flushed it with saline and gave her her antibiotics. We also have a microbial spray that we put on there too. Thanks!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:29 am

Keep us posted!

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:30 pm

I might have some trouble updating right away, because now there is a 7 hour time difference from home... From what I've heard, JJ and Rosie have had no troubles, but JJ did try to nudge under her neck, so my mom separated them. Her wound is starting to heal (at least from the outside), and I told my mom to give it more time for the inside to heal.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 am

Okay. First off, don't separate them. It's normal for JJ to notice that something's wrong with Rosie's neck and to nudge at it. Unless JJ gets very aggressive with Rosie, keep them together.

Two -- and here's the hard part -- if it heals over on top without granulating up from the bottom, the infection will simply return.

Your mom needs to soften the scab, if one has formed, pick it off and flush the wound out until it granulates from the bottom up, inside out. The wound needs to be kept open. This is counterintuitive, but it needs to be done for it to heal properly.

Your mom is likely not going to be thrilled with the idea of picking off a scab from a screaming guinea pig. What she can do is soften and loosen the area with a sequence of clean, soft cloths soaked in warm water and held to the area. After a compress like this loosens the tissue, then flush the wound with sterile saline.

It needs to flush clear. Flush until no more pus or debris is seen.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 am

My mom put them together all day and Rosie seems to be playing and acting normal. I don't know how the wound is healing, I might be able to have my mom take pictures of it if she can. Overall she seems to be getting better

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:07 am

Pictures would be real helpful. Your mom is welcome to post here.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:23 am

I will try to email photos, but the service up in the mountains is horrible, so I might not be able to send them right away.

My mom has updated me saying that they can play together, but they can't be in the same cage anymore.. JJ is being a bully towards Rosie. She heard a loud squeal coming from the cage, so we assumed that JJ but Rosie. That might be what caused the abscess.