Hydrochlorothiazide treatment for chronic calcium in bladder

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm sorry she's having such problems.

It's a very personal decision to have to make, and every one comes to it with a different perspective. When faced with a crisis this serious, I usually opt for euthanasia sooner rather than later. Pets don't understand time the way we do, and I never want one of mine to suffer in any way just so I can postpone the inevitable for a few days or even a few weeks. I can live with letting them go too soon better than I can with knowing they may have suffered because I wanted to keep them a while longer.

But you're the one who's there with her and who has to deal with it. Sending good thoughts for you and Lucy.

ph08fhf

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:49 pm

I spoke to my vet shortly after posting. The breathing issues could be pain related, or it could be that the cancer has metastasized to her lungs. The prognosis is very poor. The vet agrees that its unlikely she will live 3 more weeks. When we first discovered the masses we agreed that we wouldn't pursue aggressive treatment options (given her past health issues).

She struggles to even to lie down with her arthritis and foot problems. She seems to be more comfortable in my lap and has even been able to fall asleep a couple of times (properly, with ears and whiskers twitching).

(sorry for any typos, I'm typing one-handed so that I don't disturb her).

I've made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon, with the knowledge that I can cancel if it feels really wrong.

Sarita33

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm sorry you have come to have to think about making a choice.

I will say this. When my Star had made it as long as she could and nothing made her better and she was suffering, I knew what the right thing to do was. But even knowing that, I felt so conflicted. It is never an easy thing. I had to remind myself that keeping her alive beyond that point was selfish, it would be for me and not for her benefit.

Even during that final vet visit I had to fight the urge to scoop her up and run. I had prepared myself for that moment but it didn't make it any easier. So it is totally normal to feel so conflicted even when you are sure in your decision.

After some mourning, I felt the relief in knowing she wasn't in pain anymore and that she was running free.

Only you can make this choice, it is never easy, not even when you think you have known it may be a possibility. I wish you the best.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:00 pm

That is always such a hard choice to make. I'm sorry you're faced with this.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 am

The only question I'd ask is how comfortable would your partner be in making a tough decision if necessary?

If she's still eating well, and is not in constant, unremitting, acute pain, as far as you can tell, if it were me I'd not yet make the last appointment.

That said -- if your partner is in tune with her, has a feel for how she feels, and could make a tough decision if it felt right while you're out of town.

If your partner isn't at that place, or would not be comfortable with (well, as 'comfortable' as any of us can be) or able to make such a decision and take her in if necessary while you're gone, then it might be better before you leave.

I'm 'slightly on the other side of the dividing line' from bpatters. I'll tend to err on the side of going a little longer rather than sooner. If it's not something you feel you could, or should, leave to your partner, however, then that would make the difference with me.

Blessings, comfort and peace to Lucy and to you regardless.

ph08fhf

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm still not sure what to do.

Lucy seems a little brighter today. She wheeked for food this morning, and has maintained a good appetite throughout. She ate a bunch of melon (3 different varieties - of course she wanted to take a few bites of each piece rather than finishing and one whole piece...) and we had a long cuddle with her falling asleep in my arms multiple times.

She is still gassy, and she has trouble walking around and defecating. She doesn't move much and has periods where she sits hunched. In addition, her breathing is still laboured.

When I sit with her in my lap, she seems quite contented and especially when she eats. Seeing her like that makes it hard for me to think I should euthanize. But other times her lack of movement and laboured breathing concern me.

I've always felt like I have a sense for what my pigs need, but not now. I just wish she could somehow tell me what she wants.

I have the vets appointment in an hour. My plan is to go to that and try to get a better understanding of what exactly is happening in her body and what she is feeling. Is she more relaxed in my arms because she is enjoying a good cuddle like she always used to? Or is it because, being a prey animal, she is very aware that she is sick and is just glad of the protection... Is she breathing laboured because she is in pain? Is there pressure on the lungs? What does that feel like? Is it scary?

To make things even more confusing - her feet (which have had some nasty bumblefoot for a long time now) look better than ever (i've stopped with the bandages and started using agricultural 'blue kote')...

In addition i was us crying with her till 3am last night and my head is throbbing, so decision making is particularly difficult...

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

I am very sorry you are faced with such a hard decision. My heart goes out to you. Going away must add even more stress to an already stressful situation. In your situation I would feel pressured to make a decision before Monday rather than being able to take a day at a time. That being said I am the only one that would know when the time is right to say goodbye.

I am hoping that your partner feels comfortable taking one day at a time while you are away so you don't have to commit to a decision you are not ready to make.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm

You have my best wishes in this hard time.

ph08fhf

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Lucy is at home with me at this time.

I had a long conversation with my wonderful (seriously, WONDERFUL) vet who answered all of my difficult and incoherent questions. I brought some critical care and blueberries and we watched her eat. The vet palpated Lucy's abdomen, and showed me the approximate size of the tumour. She explained the processes that are likely going on inside her little body and she helped me to work through my fears and hopes.

I decided that I wasn't sure enough of the extent of Lucy's pain or fear, given that she is still eating so well and enjoying cuddles.

I'm expecting her to go downhill fairly quickly as her lungs fatigue from increased work they have to put out. Probably she has days to go. I'm going to stay home this weekend to be with her and keep and eye on her. When the breathing problem gets worse, it will be time.

As of now, I'm happy and enjoying time with my girl.

Thank you all for the support and understanding you have offered. It is truly appreciated.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 pm

What lovely pictures of your beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing her with us. She looks so content eating her melon.

ph08fhf

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:55 am

[apologies for the large photos, I need to work out how to adjust photo size when posting. Lynx, please feel free to resize if preferred]

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:54 am

What a wonderful, wonderful vet.

My very best and warmest wishes to Lucy and to you. May all things be happy, comfortable, peaceful, and right, all in their good time.