Hydrochlorothiazide treatment for chronic calcium in bladder

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:57 pm

She is obviously very well loved. I hope you both enjoy your time together. And it certainly does sound like you have a special and understanding vet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:03 am

Thinking of you both this day. Greetings from the South, Lucy.

ph08fhf

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:23 am

I finally said goodbye to Lucy last Wednesday the 13th. As far as those things go, I think it was pretty perfect. I'm distraught to have lost her, and I miss her so terribly, but I couldn't have hoped for a better end for her.

Lucy was going strong for a good month after I last posted here. She continued to eat on her own and to enjoy cuddles and to greet me at the side of the cage, so we kept going. I went on my trip, and she was still there when I came back (for that, I will be eternally grateful). A little while after I got back, she started to slow down a bit and became a bit wobbly on her hind legs. On her final day, she had seemed to spend a particularly long time hunched in the corner. I came over, and she greeted me and we had a good cuddle. I put her home. That afternoon she got some extra pain meds, by evening she had begun to go downhill.

It was clear that she was on her way. We rushed her in to the ER. To our immense joy and surprise our regular exotics vet come out to greet us (they do not work in the ER): she had been in the department working on something else and came out when she heard we were here. She did the euthanasia in the most kind, understanding and dignified way possible. I stayed for the whole thing - though i was warned that it may be upsetting - and it really was beautiful. Lucy passed, peacefully, in her sleep being covered with kisses and surrounded by people she knew.

Lucy did so much for me, and we went through so much together (a couple of boyfriends, 3 different apartments, a Masters degree and even a move across the atlantic!). She was so full of life and she carried on a good two years longer than she was 'supposed to'. In her hey day she would keep 10 other pigs in line. I miss her so much. What a special and important soul.

Give your pigs an extra special hug tonight. Every moment with them is so important.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:26 am

Oh, I am so sad for your loss, though you knew there was not much time. You loved her so much. You have all my sympathy, ph08fhf.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:51 am

I'm so sorry. But what a great way for her to go.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:11 pm

She does look like a real sweetie. It sounds like you said goodbye at the right time, and most important, you were there with her. Take heart knowing she's free; free from pain, free from fear, and free to run and popcorn to her little heart's content. You have my sympathy for your great loss.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, wonderful companion and good friend. All blessings and all joy to your spirit and being. You are cherished and treasured, and always will be.

I am so glad to hear that her last journey here went so smoothly. How wonderful that your vet was there.

Hugs and understanding to you, ph08fhf. And honor to Lucy. A special, precious and important soul, truly.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Sounds like Lucy was a terrific pig. RIP sweet girl. She had a long life and wonderful home with you. So sorry for your loss.

ph08fhf

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Lucy's necropsy report came back yesterday. It was surprising.

Her masses were benign. Total shock - they were huge and growing fast, so everything indicated that they were malignant. But they weren't.

Lucy had severe kidney changes consistent with an earlier version of Barbara's changes (https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=).

We had thought that the breathing problems she was having were associated with metastasis of the tumor to the lungs. It appears that the breathing problems were in fact associated with her kidney changes and an increase of protein loss. It looks like the kidney problems caused her death. Who knew!?

This result brings me great comfort - kindney failure is, by all accounts, much less painful than cancer. And I'm so glad that we didn;t try to operate or euthanise

ph08fhf

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:27 pm

I forgot to mention that they also found some mild evidence of pneumonia in Lucy's lungs (though it certainly wasn't the cause of death).

This, of course, makes me extra worried about the rest of my girls (given that pneumonia likely was what killed Mary (https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73333) and was definitely what killed Ruby (https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=)). I have two girls going in on monday morning, and two move going in mid september.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for adding this information to your thread. Necropsies certainly can help us see the big picture.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:17 am

In my limited experience and understanding -- if a guinea pig passes of true old age (no other serious illnesses or problems), it's from one of two things: liver failure or kidney failure.

It's very wise to have your others checked, but don't be too worried about pneumonia. With care as good as yours receive, pneumonia would be something that would develop rather than being caught, and it would develop secondarily to something like heart weakness, which you would also note symptoms of and treat.