Cuy Data

tpshadow

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:35 pm

I know a person who has been bringing cuys in from South America
He is breeding then became people want the new type of guinea pigs so he is breeding them

Rodentmommy

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Sunflower

Purchased at Petsmart in Antioch, CA in April 2013.
Weighs 4 pounds and 5 ounces.
Very skittish, hides in her house most of the time.
Red and white color.
Eats a lot!
No extra toes.
Can jump out of playpen.
Has pea eye and chronic soft stool/diarrhea.

Rodentmommy

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:21 pm

On a positive note, I have not seen any cuy in Petsmart or Petco in about a year now.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Do you have a picture of her?

Rodentmommy

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Yes, I do have photos of her alone and with the other pigs. I'm brand new to this site could you tell me how to upload them?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:27 pm

Maxwell is a male cuy that I picked up from a local shelter in December, 2014 as a 3 year old. He topped out at 2800 grams. He was definitely a cuy physically, but his personality was more like a lap dog. He was calmer, sweeter, gentler, more outgoing than almost any piggy that has come through our rescue. If you stopped scritching him before he was satisfied, he'd nudge you for more. He broke the cuy mold.

But Maxwell seemed to pick up contagious bugs when none had been around for a while. He picked up CL and battled it for around 4 or 5 months before we finally had the lymph node removed. He also picked up fungal infections and a URI when there had been no cases in a year or so. His cagemate was with him through all of this and stayed totally healthy.

In talking with a couple other rescues, they noted that several of their cuy end up with CL too. The cuys we've had have been more susceptible to it.

I sadly have to have Maxwell euthanized yesterday due to a large tumor or abscess in his jaw that rapidly misaligned his jaw. Even syringe feeding him 4 hours a day wasn't enough to maintain his weight. I just wonder if cuy's immune systems aren't as tough as other piggies.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Sorry about Maxwell. What a joy it must have been to cuddle a 2800 gram pig. Seems he lived longer than some of the other cuy we've heard about?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:26 pm

Yes, he did last longer, if I can believe what the shelter told me.

I also have a 5 year old female cuy named Billie Jean that I've had for almost her whole life. She survived pyometra and being spayed a year or so ago. So there are Cuys lasting longer than a few years.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am

I'm so sorry about Maxwell.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:58 am

He sounds like he was a sweet guy. Sorry he had to deal with all these issues.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Sorry he's gone.

I've found that the two female cuy here have dandruff issues. I thought it was mites but they've been treated several times.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:52 am

lisam, you probably know to try treating the "dandruff" as fungus.