How the U.S. political system fell apart

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Interesting look back at the decline of the importance of political parties. I haven't waded all the way through it yet, but it's certainly got a lot of food for thought.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:50 pm

I hope to remember to read it tomorrow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:21 pm

That was fascinating, bpatters. Thanks for posting.

I only moderately disagree with the writer's conclusion. The reason that neurotic hatred of the political class is the last acceptable form of bigotry is because an enormous number of people feel that politicians no longer have their constituent's interests even remotely at heart (or even anywhere in the body. :-P).

Folks who think that a compromise is being reached by someone who is at least listening to them just slightly more than they're listening to a lobbyist are, in my opinion, far more willing to see that that compromise was necessary, even if they grumble about it. Folks who think that all of the politicians and the middlemen of the mechanism, across the board, are bought and paid for by well-heeled lobbying groups and donors, of any ideological stripe, aren't going to trust working compromises.

We've got to get rid of Citizens United, as much for its perception as for its practice. I personally believe that the case law and precedent upon which it stands is correct. In actual practice and in effect, though, it has been a complete, total and unmitigated disaster, if for no other reason (and there are plenty of other reasons) than that folks think any and all established insiders are bought and paid for -- even if they're not.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

Interesting. Probably makes some legitimate points. Sure as heck do NOT agree with some of it. Does not point out some of the elephants in the room (not really pointing at republicans, using it as it is meant to be used). Not addressing solutions to some of what has evolved, like outside money. Congress could easily regulate the outside money sources to require showing where any money used in politics originated from.

One elephant in the room is the accelerated transfer of wealth to the wealthy in spades. The result of "less government" giving more money to the wealthy, less regulation, less concern for the environment, etc. etc.

Enough of the population is intelligent enough to see the holes in this. Writing off Sanders, claiming " his plans for governing were delusional" - this is the 1% speaking.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 am

I'm going to add this too, about secret spending at the state level:

"Landmark Survey Finds Special Interests are Pouring Money into Local Elections"
http://commondreams.org/news/2016/06/26/landmark-survey-find ... al-elections

Funds are obscured and not much money can get your candidate in.

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/analysis/Secret_Spending_in_the_States.pdf

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 am

I pretty much agree with it. The system we had, fifty years ago, had plenty of opportunity for graft and corruption, but it worked. At least it did in the sense that things got done, and compromises were made for the good of the country.

I do think the rise of lobbyists and the amount of unregulated money flowing into politics is a huge problem, but Congress has been sucking at that teat long enough that weaning it may be impossible.

At any rate, I think the article is definitely worth plowing through, if for no other reason than the historical look at the diminishing of Congress' ability to work effectively.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 pm

I haven't read it yet but what I think ruined political system is the same thing ruining everything else, Greed.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1