Gary Johnson

MattKelly007

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:24 pm

It's no shock that the two front runner nominees for President are neither qualified or, in any matter, decent human beings. The Liberatarian Party candidate, Gary Johnson, is our best option. He already has 11% support and it's growing. Please take 5 minutes out of your day to learn a little bit about this former Arizona governor and how the Liberatarian party is THE ONLY PARTY that isn't run by corrupt politicians and that uses common sense. Do your country a favor and be a good citizen. Don't vote for Hillary or Trump. Please.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Were you once a Bernie supporter?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Hillary is definitely qualified. Just not sure if she is the one yet.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Um, nope.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who supports eliminating corporate income taxes (while I realize that corporations legally get out of paying taxes, they're people, right? They should pay their fair share towards the "general welfare" of the country and its citizens). And while nobody loves paying their taxes, taxes are the cost of civilization. Abolish the IRS? No thanks. He also supports abolishing ALL income, capital gains and payroll taxes, with revenue to be generated by a sales tax. Guess who pays the most for that kind of taxation? The poor and middle class. and services go out the window.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who supports the private prison industrial complex.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who supports robbing public education to pay for vouchers.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who doesn't support student loans.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who opposes the rights of workers to form a union.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who believes that "sharia law" is infecting America. He actually supported banning burqas until he "rethought" that position.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who believes that if clubgoers at Pulse had been armed, the outcome would have been "less horrific."

I'm not interested in voting for someone whose opposition to KXL was simply the problem of eminent domain. He's fine with a pipeline in and of itself.

I'm not interested in voting for someone who called the ACA "a torpedo in a sinking ship."

I'm not interested in voting for someone who believes that K-12 public education can only improve if schools "compete" against each other, and are measured by testing. It shows a complete ignorance of the real issues involved in education and the challenges our students and teachers face.

His stances on immigration seem quite common-sense, his drug policy opinions are quite common-sense, and he's not bad on abortion although the idea that the government shouldn't fund stem cell research but private corporations can is a head-scratcher. He's not hawkish but has a simplistic understanding of international relations.

So all-in-all, NOPE.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Ditto Snowflakey.

While I'm not wild about Hillary, I think the country will be safe in her hands, and not in Trump's. Nobody else has a reasonable chance of being elected, so they're throw-away votes.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

I'd be curious to know by which standard Clinton would be considered "unqualified." It seems to me that irrespective of how you feel about her personally or her policies, she is beyond qualified to be President of the United States.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:51 pm

This "Hillary is a horrible human being" is really problematic to me.

There are a lot of policy positions she has that I don't love. Some of the things she did as SoS I don't love (but also understand that they are part of a larger foreign policy that has been shaped by the Bush Wars and Obama's foreign policy, as well as the work the past S's oS did over the years). Some of her votes as a Senator I don't love.

But "horrible human being?" Horrible on what level? Pol Pot - there was a horrible human being. Pinochet - another such. Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin? Yep, they were horrible human beings. I cannot stand George W, he lied us into war with Iraq, helped crash the economy and plenty more, but he isn't a horrible human being. He's a bad amateur painter, but he isn't a horrible human being. He was probably one of the worst presidents in the history of this country, but he isn't a horrible human being.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:53 pm

I was not familiar with him. SF, your listing of Johnson's beliefs - I would no way ever - and I mean ever! - vote for him.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 am

Ditto everything (almost :P) snowflakey said!

Libertarians are a funny (no so funny) amalgam of left & right. Good IMHO on social liberties, but not for the "freedom" to make as much money as you can no matter who you step on, squish, screw in the process. My mom used to say, one person's freedom goes only as far as the other person's nose.

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Bill Maher had Johnson on his show last week and re-ran it last night. He seems intelligent and well-spoken, but I echo many (most) of snowflakey's concerns.

And ditto: in what way is Hillary Clinton not qualified to be President of the United States? She's not my favorite person; has her share of personal and professional flaws. Who doesn't? But I can't really think of anyone who is better suited right now to handle that job, both in terms of experience and temperament.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 pm

I have to say that I'm chuckling a bit at Johnson's epic self-destruction.

Aleppo? Never heard of it!

Name a world leader? Ummmm..... ummmm.... maybe one of the guys from Mexico, but I can't remember which one!

One of the world's most dangerous despots? I think there is a guy in North Korea who is kinda bad, but dang! Can't remember what he calls himself!

Global warming? Naah, the earth will hit the sun in a few billionty years, so why worry?

Even his vice-presidential candidate (who really excelled at naming favorite world leaders, mentioning Shimon Peres who had just died, no doubt planting the name in his mind) thinks HRC is the most qualified candidate, and is working to keep Trump from winning.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Yeah, I think I read that about his VP. Johnson has a lot of problems (besides his platform!).

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 pm

I guess if you share the key Libertarian fetish that the least government is always the best government, it explains why Weld did as little work as possible when he was governor here in Massachusetts. (He won against the odious John Silber, technically a Democrat, really a dictator.)

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 pm

My Libertarian friend isn't even voting for him because he doesn't think Johnson is a true Libertarian. Libertarians believe in no restrictions on anyone, so they support relaxed drug laws, gay marriage, abortion rights, freedom of religion etc. My understanding is that Johnson has given up defending many of those personal freedoms in favor of more alt right positions. Also, Johnson used to say we need to do something about climate change, but he's recanted that and joined the deniers camp, presumably to attract more right wingers away from Trump.

So, for the reasons Snowflaky outlines so well, as well as for Johnson's political position and even more for climate change position, he would be terrible. Animals don't fare well under governments that pride themselves on not restricting people's behavior. He's a bad choice.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1