Zoe's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 am

You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/.html in case the slant gets worse/more prominent.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Odd incisors, thickening incisors, third incisors, peg incisors are not terribly uncommon as the pig ages. We've had several with them. Some have needed to be regularly clipped; others were just weird but caused the pig no problem.

They can sometimes (not always, but sometimes) be related to heart compromise. How old is she (without reading back), and does she have any (other) signs of heart compromise?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks Lynx for the link. I hope I will never need to go that route but it is good to know there are options.

Thanks Talishan: You have eased my mind somewhat. Zoe will turn 5 years old next Saturday so she is heading into her senior years.

I have a vet appointment on April 1st. We did an X-ray the end of February when I took her in for her foot. Always on the lookout for stones. I wonder if the view will show her heart. I didn't see the X-ray but will ask her vet to bring it up so I can have a look.

I did have a question for you Talishan. I am going to get some Silver Sulfadiazene. It sounds like you don't have to cover it so if she licks it will that be okay? From what I have read it is from the Sulfa Drug family of antibiotics which I believe are safe for piggies.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:07 pm

The angle of the rad they use for stones (at least the latest one my vet took) doesn't always show the thoracic cavity clearly. If they're not sure when they look at her old rad, consider asking for another.

Does she have any other signs of developing heart impairment?

https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

If so -- especially at her age -- I'd want a trial of benazepril for her if she were mine.

One of the nice things about the silver sulfadiazene cream is that yes, the AB in it is a sulfa drug. You don't want them ingesting gobs of it, but if they get a little off their feet when grooming it won't be a problem.

You don't have to cover it unless the foot is bad enough to actually need bandaged. I will say use only a small amount. It doesn't soak into the skin, so a light layer, well spread, should do the job.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:42 pm

I read over the heart page and so far Zoe has no signs of heart issues. She is active, eating well and her weight is stable. I have been weighing her every other day or so.

If I get a chance I will have my husband take a picture of her foot. The skin is smooth and there are no open sores but there is something not quite right. Sort of a bruised looking area?? It is hard to explain. They are red but that has been a concern of mine every since they were babies. I ask their vet about their feet every time I take them in.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Zoe has been to the vet twice since my last post, once for a treatment plan and another for a follow up.

Her vet suggested soaking her back foot with diluted Hibitane Skin Cleanser 4% which I did. After rinsing and drying the area I applied a thin coat of coconut oil for moisture. Within a week the small area of concern had healed. It was a small round area that had a flap of skin sticking out.

She checked all her feet and said Zoe has Hyperkeratosis on one of her front feet. I notice it on both front feet. She said it is nothing to worry about and sees it quite often.

I do have a question. Is Hyperkeratosis the same as spurs? Looking at pictures I think so.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Possibly. I think hyperkeratosis might also apply to other conditions.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:46 am

Hyperkeratosis is a fancy med word for ... a callous. Dry, thickened skin. Lots and lots of animals, usually older (human included) get this. You should see my poor husband's hands in the wintertime. :-/

Spurs aren't exactly the same thing in my mind -- they are dark pieces of a keratinous-like substance that grow out of the footpad and around the foot -- but I suspect it's a similar idea. Spurs aren't a problem until they get long enough to get caught on bedding or hay, then they can tear and cause an injury.

We clip them at that point. Clip carefully; be careful not to nick the foot skin, but if you get reasonably close they often just crumble off at the skin line. Very weird.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I have noticed blood on the fleece a couple of times this week and the pet sitter said she saw some blood when she was looking after my sows last week.

I am used to seeing blood but this is more than usual and there is a strong odor that is new. Both girls are acting normal and neither show any pain so I wasn't sure if it was Abbey or Zoe.

I finally narrowed it down to Zoe. Zoe has been spayed but is prone to stones. Her last X-ray showed only sludge so I am concerned it may be a bladder infection although I would think she would have some pain on urinating.

I am going to drop off a urine sample tomorrow to one of the local vets for testing. They are not familiar with guinea pigs but I have used their lab before.

If it is a urinary tract infection I don't trust them on the dose of antibiotic. I will ask for Bactrim but what dose should I ask for?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 am

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:50 pm

Thank you.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I just got back from the vet. I took a urine sample in to be tested and Zoe has an urinary tract infection. She is on Bactrim, 0.8 ml every 12 hours for 7 days. I hope she likes strawberry flavor.

My girls are over 5 years old and this is the first time I have given them antibiotics. The funny thing is she shows no discomfort when urinating. Although she frequently has blood in her urine it was the slight smell that sent up the red flags.