Two bonded young sows need home in Boston MA area (URGENT)

HallieSally

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Our guinea pigs Hallie and Sally need to be rehomed this week!

The ownership of our apartment rental changed hands earlier this year, and the new owner is enforcing a strict "no-pets" policy.

I argued with the landlord, but no go. Was in denial for a while, but about a month ago accepted that we had to rehome. Posted on guineapigzone: we have had two offers that have fallen through, the second failure I just found out about today. My own doing since it was a lovely person who wanted to adopt, but her motive was to get cuddly pets for her young children, and I felt obliged to let her know about the time and attention required from an adult. Sent her literature about cage space, bonding with the piggies, floor time, DIY toys, etc. --- maybe not surprisingly, she decided to bail!

Now in terrible trouble since we are leaving town this Saturday July 16. Hallie and Sally have no home! As a last resort, I have arranged for them to go to a no-kill rescue where they will have a 3'x3' cage, fresh veggies, playtime with volunteers as available; prospective adopters will be screened to assure that they will provide adequate space and care. Not a disaster, but I am sick at heart at giving up our babies to an uncertain and maybe unhappy future.

Hallie and Sally are two females almost one year old; they have been together since birth. They currently have a 4x5 c&c cage together with two indoor runs: they love ramps. Good about using litter box for pee and (most) poo. Both started off very skittish, but now will sleep contentedly on our laps. Both are piggy kissers, and like chin rubs and nose scratches. Hallie does tricks - circle, find the ball, find the tube, etc - which Sally sometimes makes halfhearted attempts to imitate, but often opts instead to cuddle and purr...

Would so much love for them to go to a forum home.

Here they are:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:04 pm

They are so cute! I love the last video where they are fighting over hay!

I so hope you can find a home for them together!

p.s. could you break your contract and move? Kind of force the new owner's hand? Any legal ground for breaking your contract?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:35 pm

I don't know if you are interested in working from the legal standpoint that your former landlord allowed pets and your current one should too until the end of your lease.

Massachusetts has fairly strong tenants' rights.

Some links.

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/legal-tactics1

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src ... nantrights

https://www.landlordology.com/massachus ... nant-laws/

HallieSally

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for both your replies.

I have indeed thought about 1) moving (feel guilty, but just don't have the energy. I'm the primary caregiver for two medically fragile family members, and the prospect of moving... argggh); 2) a legal battle (actually think I have pretty good grounds under Fair Housing Act, but... again, just don't have the spunk for it).

An issue with both options is that one family member has severe anxiety issues: uncertainty and disruption and conflict are big bugaboos.

But thank you, really, for both suggestions. Feel bad that the piggies will be the ones to suffer for my not being strong enough to fight harder for them.

Riahrae

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:11 am

I wish you could fight for them :( if worse comes to worse and you have to put them in the rescue i hooe they dont have to be separated. Best of luck to you and your girls

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 am

I totally get that you don't want fuss and bother. Good luck finding homes.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:47 am

What town are you in, HallieSally?

Sarita33

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 am

I wish you luck in finding a home. I wish I could help but unfortunately I am at my max of 3 pigs already.