Brexit - the EU referendum

tashab

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:21 pm

If Bookfan falls through and you want to come to Canada, you can sleep on our futon, Jessie

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 am

Canada is on my list. Vancouver, New Foundland, Bowen Island, and the little town/village they filmed Harpers island in. I watched a show where a guy went off into the Canadian forest to build a birch bark canoe with a native, using traditionals methods and techniques from years gone by. It's top of my ultimate bucket list. Paddle my own hand made canoe (not kayak, I can't stay upright in them, has to be an open on flat water to acheive the meditation factor). I've been watching Canadian border control. I know how to get in without being fined.

A friend went to the Durham meet with Jeremy Corbyn at the weekend. She screamed at him like a fan girl and he thanked her for being a hunt sab.

I have never been interested in politics, until now. Corbyn is someone who I believe in. He's not a traditional politician from the old boys club. He doesn't have the most highly polished outfits. To him ther is more to politics than the celebrity status. My local polotician could learn a lot from Corbyn.

Alas, Andrew Stephenson in league with TM and was in full frame during yesterdays speech. He also appears to travel everywhere with a professional photographer. He never misses out on a photo opportunity.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:46 am

Celebrity status is how Trump got this far. I don't think much of celebrity status either.

I hope you finish your canoe!

8ball

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 am

She screamed at him like a fan girl...
Hahaha, I would too!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:10 am

It sounds like Angela Eagle's presser yesterday was a disaster; not only did it get upstaged by the Leadsom announcement that she was stepping aside, but she didn't seem to quite know how to react to the defection of the press from HER event.

From the Guardian (not terribly sympathetic to any Tory politician): Theresa May: unpredictable, moralistic, and heading to No 10.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

This will someday be a film and/or TV drama. House of Cards ain't got nothing on it! Brexit backstabbing within Tory Party. And it doesn't even get to the May/Leadstom part of the story. Needs an update!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 am

@talishan: "we'll switch. One pretty old house that, uhm, needs some work but solidly built. Several reasonably priced (relatively speaking) colleges nearby. My husband and I go to the land of constant rain and clouds and TM, *as long as I can visit Richard III's spot in the car park*. "

I'm with ya all the way on that! Especially the RIII spot. :D

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:51 am

He was a good, kind, capable and decent King and he was framed by the pretender Tudors!!

You would think humanity would learn something in 500+ years, but alas no. :-(

Maybe Larry will bite her or something. We can hope.

I too hope you can do your canoe, Jessie. That would be very cool.

bats

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Well well... it seems the new British Foreign Secretary is a bit of a racist, calling blacks small-brained picaninnies with watermelon smiles and lower IQs.

He also has choice words about Asians (slower to mature, less randy, less fertile...).

Lovely.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Ugh. It is pretty ugly.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:42 pm

I can't even. Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. Just no.

Words cannot express how much I loathe him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Man, the world is imploding! Trump is up in Florida, according to the news. I cannot believe people would vote for him!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 pm

I believe that's the Quinnipiac Poll, Lynx. It skews Republican.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:56 am

That made me giggle. Bit of a racist? He's a proper priviledged white boy who has absolutely no idea what is going on with the common people, comes across as a fluffy haired loon, but secretly is the most caniving and deviously sly man, ever!

8ball

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:12 am

And Liam Fox has a position in the Cabinet.

He had to give up a former cabinet post due to giving a job to his friend, and also had to repay a lot of expenses he'd claimed.

I feel like this is part of The Thick Of It.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am

Apparently there is a way of joining a union as a community member and being able to vote for Corbyn in the leadership vote. If I join as a regular Labour member I will be unable to vote. Today is the day I take up membership of a political party. If we lose Corbyn we have no hope.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 am

I read that new members have to pay 25 pounds (no symbol on my keyboard that I can find!) if they want to vote. Urgh.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 am

If we join a union, as a community member, we can sign up for £2.

Apparently now the £25 joining doesn't get you a vote. They've changed that. There are some arguments about people sueing if they are not allowed to vote.

I've just been reading that a stop is now being put to new union members getting a vote.

People want to vote, and are being told they can't. It's crazy.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 am

That is pretty awful. Good luck with that. So BoJo is your new Foreign Secretary. Awesome! I understand he has a history of using choice language to refer to foreign leaders and writes off-color limericks about them.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am

Sounds like he would fit right in with Trump.

I am afraid!

154 posts