Zoe's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:20 am

An xray is definitely the way to go. Could definitely be stones.

And DO look at that bottle yourself. If you do a google search of:
bactrim 200mg/40mg/1ml

What you get are results indicating it is instead the 5ml. I somehow don't think she made a mistake.

And if you search by Sulfa/Trim 200mg/40mg/ml, you still get the 5ml.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks for the information and support Lynx. It is quite confusing. I am going to get a sub-Q today just in case but I think I will wait until Tuesday to do the X-ray. Zoe's vet isn't in today and I don't trust anyone else to read it. I have an appointment booked for Tuesday for Zoe to see her regular vet. She is getting so busy and I have had this appointment booked for two weeks.

I think I will start from the beginning with her and get to the bottom of things. By then the antibiotics should be out of Zoe's system and I can have another urinalysis done and an X-ray. I will get her to explain about the concentration of Bactrim and see if she can clear up the confusion.

It is interesting you can't find anything about the more concentrated dose anywhere. My son-in-law is a doctor. I think I will pick his brain and see if he can clarify this. Thanks for doing the research.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:44 am

I did not look super hard but only superficially. You would think something would turn up if you don't use the 5mg but use mg for the search.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Lynx: I am back from the vet. Zoe got her sub-Q and I talked to someone in pharmacy. I told them I wanted to see the bottle which she brought out. It is 200mg/40mg/ml (meaning 1 ml). She said they quite often have medication compounded for the exotics. She wasn't sure but agreed that maybe by concentrating the solution you would be able to give smaller doses. 0.8 ml was quite a bit of medication to get into a little piggy.

I am kicking myself that I didn't pick Talishan's brain a little more when she was concerned that the dose was too high. She, as usual, was right on. I had it stuck in my head that the dose was the same as on the medication page.

Live and learn.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm

The deal is that the 200mg/40mg/5ml pediatric solution is inexpensive and widely used in the veterinary field.

It may be this was compounded for large animals so you didn't have to give them so much (compounded from pills).

At least you got to the bottom of this. Bactrim is generally pretty well tolerated so a larger dose for a short period of time is not as likely to cause problems (not like some of the other antibiotics).

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Had a bad day yesterday. Tuesday night Zoe started having fewer and smaller poops. Usually she is a pooping machine. I took her for her sub-Q early in the morning and hoped the car ride would stir things up. She produced a few in the car but not many after that. She looked a little bloated but wasn't too sure because her sides were wet from the sub-Q so maybe it was pooling water???

She continued to eat most things but no pellets and very little hay. Thank goodness for grass which she ate.

By night I was very concerned so I took her out and massaged her tummy and sides. Out of desperation I vibrated her tummy through the cuddle cup with my Neutrogena face massager.

I water proofed the couch and encouraged her to run around. She produced a large pee and about 12 formed but lighter poops. They were not normal but okay.

I had to go to work today which probably was a good thing. I tend hover and stress when I am worried about my girls and look every couple of minutes to see if she has produced a poop. I am constantly putting food in front of her. This only makes things worse.

Rushed home from work and it looks good. I can see lots of normal Zoe poops. Looked like we dodged the bullet one more time.

I guess the overdose of antibiotics caught up with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:54 pm

That is encouraging. I hope things continue well.

countrygirl49
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Glad Zoe is doing better! And I'm glad you didn't have to stress too long. Wish I could say the same for Gizmo right now with her continuing diarrhea. :|

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks countrygirl49. I am looking forward to Tuesday when we get to see Zoe's regular vet. I am having an X-ray done. I hope it will explain what is going on. Expecting to see stones but hoping I am wrong.

countrygirl49
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 am

Oh, man. Well I hope all goes well and that it's not stones!

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:03 am

Zoe had blood in her urine and a few spots on her fleece before the antibiotics. When she was taking the Bactrim she had tons of blood on the fleece and her urine was so dark, almost beet color. I have never seen it that bad. I looked up overdose of Bactrim and blood in urine was one of the side effects. The blood started to decrease once I stopped the Bactrim.

I am trying one more thing. I have stopped the Oxbow hay tabs completely. It has been a couple of days now. This morning was the best ever. No obvious blood on the fleece. Haven't checked to see if her urine is pink or not. The girls have been on the hay tabs for 4 months now and if the X-ray showed stones or calcium sludge I was going to stop them anyways. It is a little early to tell but maybe the hay tabs were causing irritation. I started out giving them 1/2 tab and dropped it down to 1/4 tab. Could so little cause problems?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm

That is interesting. I wonder if the ingredients are not that good for urinary health after all.