Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:07 pm

If Amy is at a cat rescue, make ABSOLUTELY sure she is a girl.

Don't break up a bonded pair (a good rescue won't do this anyway).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Gracemackenz

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:00 pm

I forgot how to add pictures, but we've decided to get two more pigs. We might have to separate JJ and Rosie because they've constantly been fighting lately, but I will still make a little window in the Coroplast for her to see the rest of the pigs and communicate, if that makes sense?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:52 pm

If you're going to have a lone pig, why don't you fix a cage for her and take her to a rescue or shelter to pick out her own cage mate?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:58 pm

If I were to build a stack cage, with a 5x2 on the bottom, then a space for easy access, then a 4x2 for JJ on top, would it be okay if I had JJ on the top and 3 pigs on the bottom? I don't know if JJ would feel isolated, but just in case JJ fights with the other two pigs, I'm thinking of space efficient ways to separate them.

I would let them out for floor time so they can still play with each other (only if I separate them). I'm just worried JJ would feel lonely on the top all the time.

Edit: I will think about getting JJ a cage mate; if she'll even get along with her is my worry. I don't think my mother would like 5 Guinea pigs either, but if I convinced her to get 2 more, I can probably convince her to get a fifth one for JJ.

Edit #2: I tried to explain to my mom that it would be best to get JJ a cage mate, but she said "if JJ doesn't get along with Rosie, she won't get along with any pig". I know that's not how it works with Guinea pigs, but I have to follow the rules haha. I will try to convince her further, but for now we're sticking to 4 pigs..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:12 pm

How are you going to manage to care for all these guinea pigs? How much money do you have put aside for vet care?

The last respiratory infection one of my pigs had cost over $500, and that was just for one pig.

But to answer your question, JJ is going to be very lonely in the top cage alone, knowing that there are guinea pigs in the same room. The only way I would consider housing a lone pig is if I had one that absolutely would not get along with others, and I put him/her in an adjoining cage so they could see, hear, and smell each other through the bars.

What has happened when you tried to introduce JJ to another pig?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:40 am

We have about $5,000? I'm not totally sure.

I'm most likely going to do the connected cages, that was my original plan.

I wasn't very educated with Guinea pigs at the time I got rosie, but JJ is definitely the dominant one. JJ seemed fine with introductions, or from what I remember, but now they keep fighting. JJ has recently lunged towards Rosie and there was teeth chattering from the both of them. I'm just praying they all get along with the new pigs tomorrow.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Sorry for the double post, but is there a chance that the dominance thing between JJ and Rosie will settle a little bit since there are going to be 2 older pigs now?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Who knows? You'll just have to try.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Ok. I'm going to be quarantining them for now, to be safe and to let them get used to the new environment. They're in a 2x5 for now.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 am

Has JJ been checked for any physical problems? If she's just suddenly started being aggressive after being sociable for a while, she may have some hidden problem such as ovarian cysts (just an example off the top of my head). Before taking the drastic step of separating them, I'd have her checked by a qualified exotics vet to make sure she's healthy.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 am

No she hasn't. I'll put that into consideration, but she always has been very very dominant. It's to the point that I think Rosie is kind of sad or something. I haven't even thought of it being a physical problem..

I think I'm going to introduce all the pigs in a week or two and see what happens (JJ being nicer, not being as dominant towards Rosie, etc.). I know that's risky if it could be a physical problem, but I just want to rule out all the other options before spending money on something that could potentially be nothing but behavioral problems.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:54 am

I see what you're saying and understand your logic. With guinea pigs, though, in general that's reversed.

You want to ensure there are no physical problems before assuming it's behavioral, because as prey animals guinea pigs are wired by nature not to overtly show physical distress lest they be more likely to be eaten.

My $0.02.