Zoe's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:52 pm

I see I just said Oxbow hay tabs. I should of said Oxbow Vitamin C hay tabs. Lynx do you mean Bactrim or Oxbow Vitamin C hay tabs may not be good for urinary health? Or were you thinking I meant Oxbow urinary support hay tabs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 pm

The hay tabs is what I was responding to. There are lots of "herbs" in them which may have unintended consequences.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Zoe went to her regular vet on Monday morning. She did another urinalysis, an X-ray and another sub-Q to flush the excess antibiotic. She was concerned the overdose of antibiotic could damage her kidneys and asked me to watch her for excessive drinking. Her stools were still misshapen and a little sticky but otherwise okay.

Her X-ray was normal and there were no stones or even sludge. Maybe the previous sub-Q flushed the sludge. Also she has been eating very few pellets, if any. The urinalysis was also normal. No blood or any sign of infection in her urine.

Monday morning was the first morning she was out begging for her breakfast since this all happened. Her stools are plentiful and close to normal today and she has started to eat pellets. She is spending less time in her house and more in the hay pile.

Her water consumption is normal so I think she will be okay. I am glad I questioned the dose and she didn't get the full 14 doses. Her vet felt so bad this happened and when I went to pay for all the testing there was no charge for any of it. I am thankful to have such a caring and supportive vet for my girls.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:25 am

Very glad to hear she's doing well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:44 am

It would be ironic if the higher dose actually helped!

Hoping for continued improvement.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks Talishan and Lynx. It is possible Lynx but when she was on the very high dose of Bactrim the amount of blood on her fleece and in her urine was scary. Her urine was the color of beets. I have never seen urine that dark before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Ah, I see, bad sign! Hopefully still no long term harm done! So glad you all noted this and got it checked out.

For what it's worth, I found this:

"Up to 10 times the recommended dose of trimethoprim has been given with no adverse effects."

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/pharm ... tions.html

countrygirl49
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Glad Zoe is doing better!

I can relate to the scariness of blood in the urine. I'm sure you saw the photo I put up of Panda's urine/blood/clot. It was like someone sliced their hand and poured blood on the aspen. Freaks me out. But, nothing we can do about it.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Just a quick question. When we had Zoe to the vet last week her vet mentioned Zoe has arthritis in her knees. She looked back on previous X-rays and it was there but she was so focused on the bladder she didn't notice it.

I have the coroplast liner from their travel cage in their floor time area loaded with hay. The sides are 3" high so the girls jump into it.

Will the jumping motion aggravate her arthritis. She doesn't seem to be in pain but who knows if she is feeling discomfort.

Should I remove it and put in something will lower or no sides in its place?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:12 pm

It wouldn't hurt, and might help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Ditto bpatters.

Pigs respond differently to conditions, just like humans. We have one that has the 'worst case of arthritis I've ever seen [in a pig]' per our vet, who doesn't seem much troubled by it (she's on a fairly low dose of Metacam). Others can be far less severe, but it bothers the pig more.

It's hard to tell. Put something in with no sides, and it may help her more than she (or you!) would have realized.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:13 pm

I started to notice the pungent odor coming from the girls cage again. There was no obvious blood but Zoe's urine tested positive for blood on the urinalysis strip.

Yesterday I took another urine sample in to her vet for testing. They called me back today and said her urine sample contained microscopic blood and calcium carbonate crystals but no bacteria or infection.

I have been offering water from a syringe as often as possible and the odor does get better if I can dilute her urine.

Any ideas why her urine has this funky smell? Maybe warmer weather or a reaction to bacteria in fleece (I wash the fleece in hot water and do an extra rinse)? Could grass make her urine smelly?