Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

hbee

Post   » Mon May 09, 2016 7:58 pm

I want to make sure the irritation on Niko's skin stays clean and I use witch hazel on my own dry skin to soothe the itchies. I just wondered if it is safe to use on guinea pigs?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 10, 2016 5:24 am

I wouldn't. I think it's safe, but witch hazel is a mild astringent and can sting.

Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil (health food stores, places like Whole Foods often have it) may help.

hbee

Post   » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Update on Niko - she is holding her own but she is struggling now. Her pain is much more visible. Not a lot of blood noticed but she has been squeaking out with pain when she has to poo and pee. Her weight is holding steady - not where I want her to be but she is eating well. She is drinking. We just moved to Niagara Falls NY and that was a bit of a stress but she is settled in. Some of her hair grew back but there is a patch on her back that is still bare... Do you think I should put some ice packs on her belly/sides where she is swelling out?
Also, I have started a fundraising site to try to get donations towards surgery. Is anyone interested in contributing or does anyone have a website they might be willing to post on?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:51 pm

You can't solicit for funds on here.

And no, I wouldn't put ice packs on her belly. If a cyst is swelling that much, it needs to be drained, or preferably removed, soon, so it doesn't rupture.

hbee

Post   » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 pm

My apologies I did not mean any disrespect

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:30 am

Ditto bpatters.

A good exotics vet should be able to drain ovarian cysts to help her be more comfortable, at least for a little while. It can be done quickly, in the office, and without sedation. Our Elizabeth did, and while she let the entire office know about it, she was fine afterward.

It should not cost much and would buy some time.

Ice packs won't help. It's not that kind of swelling, and may make her too cold.

Without reading back, has she been x-rayed recently for bladder stones or sludge?

hbee

Post   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 pm

I misspoke - she has a calcified mass on her uterine horn - she is spotting, there is a distinct smell to her urine that reminds me of when I get my period...The vet told me the lining of the uterus is thickened significantly based on a sonogram she did. The mass is pressing on her bladder -- Her ovaries are of normal size and without cysts of any kind

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 pm

It does sound like she needs a spay then.

www.guinealynx.info/.html
www.guinealynx.info/.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:17 am

And the sooner the better.

I understand completely the position you're in. Please keep us posted.

Without reading back, is she on any kind of pain relief?

This is a totally off the wall idea, but could you get to Ithaca? Cornell has a superb vet school and teaching hospital. Her case sounds like it might be instructive to vet students. Maybe they'd be willing to work with you on the money??

hbee

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Niko is in terrible pain and I can't afford to get her the surgery she needs - my heart is breaking but I think I should put her down - I don't know what else to do :'(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:25 pm

If she's in pain that can't be relieved, and you can't afford the surgery, I'd make a big effort to see if there's a rescue somewhere that would take her and get her the surgery she needs. If that didn't work, then I'd have her euthanized.

I'm sorry you and Niko are in this situation.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 am

I agree with bpatters.

Try contacting this rescue:

http://www.smallpets-bighearts.org/

Ask their advice. If they're not in a position to help her, they should at least know of a good, cavy-knowledgeable vet that will be able to help her over gently, respectfully and with a minimum of fear.