Structural Racism in the US

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:28 pm

I got caught up in this and listened to it in a grocery store parking lot yesterday. Don't recall being so sucked in by a story before.

Worth a read/listen:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/15/48590007 ... ay-from-isis

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am

Hello again! For those of you still checking in!

It's been a busy week in Structural Racism Milwaukee-Style. I've been reading a bunch of online articles that reinforce and expand upon what I already know about my adopted city.

I'll share them, but first a word from our (silent) sponsor:
Pew study: 67 percent of white social media users won’t post about race. As you can imagine, that is not the case on my social media feed, but it is a reminder that everyone's bubble is really different.

A scholar, originally from MKE who researches student violence (Oxford in the Middle Ages, no less) discusses "riots" in the context of student misbehavior. TL;DR version: young men riot. When they are white college students, it isn't a national news story with heavy judgement. When it is poor black men, it is FEAR CITY!

Somewhat policy-wonky article outlining just how screwed MKE and its residents of color have been since forever

Another one from Vox about MKE's huge problems with people of color

Great article from the Toronto Star (yes, Canada!)

A little recent history is important. Here is an article about the brutal beating of Frank Jude Jr by numerous off-duty - and then on-duty - MKE policemen.
During this confrontation, Ryan Packard took Jude to the ground, where other off-duty officers held him down and searched him for the badge. The off-duty officers demanded that Jude tell them where the badge was and while doing so repeatedly punched and kicked him. Another officer, Jon Clausing, cut Harris's face with a knife; Harris freed himself and ran away.

Kirsten Antonissen called 9-1-1 and reported that people who were claiming to be police officers were beating up her friend. While talking to the 9-1-1 dispatcher, Antonissen reported that a uniformed officer had responded to the scene and that he too began beating Frank Jude. This on-duty officer, Joseph Schabel, arrived at the scene and upon learning that Jude was suspected of stealing a police badge, repeatedly stomped on the suspect’s head until others could hear bones breaking, while his partner, Nicole Martinez, watched. Other officers grabbed the phone from Antonissen and threw her against the truck, denting it. Brown also made two phone calls to 9-1-1 before her phone was seized.

Apologizing to Martinez, Masarik lifted Jude off the ground and kicked him in the crotch. Then Bartlett took Schabel’s pen and shoved it into both of Jude’s ear canals, causing Jude to scream and squirm as if in extreme pain and resulting in significant injury. The mob broke two of Jude's fingers by bending them back until they snapped. Spengler put a gun to Jude's head and threatened to kill him. Additionally, during this incident, Bartlett used a knife to cut off Jude's leather jacket and pants, leaving him naked in the street.

Frank Jude was initially arrested on suspicion of theft and quickly loaded into a police van and transported to the hospital for treatment of his numerous injuries. The admitting physician took photographs because there were so many injuries to document. The injury to Jude's ears was so severe that emergency room physicians could not diagnose it immediately because they could not control the bleeding.
This kind of police brutality is not limited to MKE or Baltimore or Ferguson or Baton Rough. It is all over the place. This is why people riot.

To end on a slightly more positive note, here is a list of community orgs in MKE that are doing good and innovative work. I've been aware of many of them for some years.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:04 am

What was done to Frank Jude is chilling, terrifying - enough to want you to put every officer involved on death row. What injustice.

I don't use facebook.

I hate what has happened to Wisconsin.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am

This is not a new story, but it serves as a reminder that there are explicit, racist, disenfranchising things that are put into law on a daily basis (y'know, that whole New Jim Crow thing):

WI county clerk (in the white suburbs) thinks Saturday voting gives "urban" (ie: black) people too much voting access

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I like this one too:

"The county clerk added that long lines in urban areas were actually a sign that voters had enough access to polls.

“Apparently access is an easy thing or they wouldn’t have long lines,” she opined."

IMO long lines stink. Voting where I am in Virginia has always be a speedy and painless thing. It should be that way everywhere!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Yeah, that clerk is an "idiot" (fill in profanity of choice here).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:47 am

Two more articles:

This is not a column about Ryan Lochte which asks you to consider the response to events based not upon the event but whether the "actor" in the event is black, female, white, male.

Longer and denser article about "Broken Windows Policing", its racist/classist roots and its abusive impact on the communities who suffer under its yoke.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 pm

This is one of the most heart rending pages I have ever read.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/9/21/1572925/-Devastati ... her-s-murder

68 posts