Two bonded males need new home, cage included (Central FL)

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:59 pm

A friend of mine reached out to me regarding these two pigs. Their current owner apparently has developed severe allergies and can no longer take care of them. They're both male and about 3-4 years old, named "Squiggles" and "Speckles" and were very well taken care of. I believe one is Abyssinian and the other is American. They come with a 3x2 C&C cage with a folding roof, custom wood table for the cage, and fleece bedding. They're located in Polk County and we're willing to travel to a prospective new home.

Here are some pics of them and their cage:

The owner is looking to rehome them very soon, so if you're interested speak up soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:09 pm

They are both pretty cute. I wish you luck finding a great home for them.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Nice cage setup too. I hope they find a new home soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm

They're both beautiful and obviously very much loved.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

FWIW -- many times allergies develop not to the pigs themselves, but to the hay. Timothy is one of the worst offenders. Has the owner tried feeding orchard grass, bluegrass or coastal bermuda? That might really help.

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm not sure, the owner is actually a friend of a friend. She's apparently been taking claritin for the past 4 years to compensate but it's no longer helping. I'll bring that up though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Please do. If the hay is the biggest part of the problem (again, it often is), a change of hay (plus claritin) may solve the problem, or at least make it manageable again.

Please keep us posted.

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I spoke with her. It's a legitimate guinea pig allergy. She breaks out every time she touches them, and she feels like even if it wasn't for the allergies she's just not really capable of taking care of them anymore. She cared a LOT for these pigs, they were fed Small Pet Select Timothy Hay, veggies daily, fleece bedding, the whole nine yards.

I'll be taking them into my home this weekend, hopefully only as a temporary basis. They're being advertised through a pet rescue right now too. I like them, but I already have two girls and I don't think that I can use a cage divider when there are two males because there may be risk of them fighting....and maintaining two separate cages will be a challenge that's hopefully only temporary.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Bless you and thank you for taking them in for the duration. Keep us posted.

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 am

Here's the exact message from her regarding their behavior and care and stuff:

"My Guinea pigs are approximately four years old. Mr. Squiggles is black and white with course crazy hair, he hasn't been much of a hold me pig since we got him. Not quite sure why. Once you are able to get him settled he will sit really nice with you. Speckles on the other hand loves to be held and petted. He will come up just for little rubs behind the ears. He also loves to turn over his house not sure why he does that but he does that very often. I haven't been able to hold them as much as they need to be due to the fact that I am allergic to them. As soon. as I touch them if I touch my body I immediately swell on that area especially my eyes lol. If I had to say squiggles is probably the more dominate male most of the time but I have seen Mr. Squiggles strut his stuff also. They love fresh carrots, romaine lettuce and sweet peppers I have tried several things that they are allowed to have and these are the three they love the most. They will let you know when you open the fridge they want some. The hay we use I purchase online from small pets select. I usually get the first or second cutting of Timothy hay. It is fresher than the store bought and you get more for your money since they consume it for 80% of their diet. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask I case I didn't cover something that might be important.
Thank you again for helping us find our little family members a great home."