Zoe's Medical Thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Pepper had a bladder polyp removed in Jan. Don't know if that's a possibility.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Bookfan, anything is possible. She is eating well and active but she is having some slight weight loss. She is almost 5 1/2 so not old but at an age where things can start to happen health wise. Still blood in her urine but it could be due to irritation from the calcium crystals. I am monitoring her for now because the last two urinalysis were normal and there is no indication of stones on the X-ray so not sure what else to do. She also has no pain or discomfort when urinating.

Does Pepper have a thread with information on her symptoms? I will go right now and see if I can find it. Thank you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Piroxicam, a relative of meloxicam, has some anti-cancer properties. It might be worth asking your vet about.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 847#943847

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 863#951863

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 am

Here is Pepper's thread in case you didn't find it:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ght=pepper

It starts at 12/31/15.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:08 pm

I did find it Bookfan but thanks for posting it. I read it over several times.

I would like to clarify some things. Is it correct that Pepper had a polyp and there was no cancer anywhere? How is Pepper doing now? Did she get over her bladder infection? She did well with her surgeries although it sounds like you have many stressful situations since.

I am asking these questions to see if any of it relates to Zoe. Zoe is doing well right now and she is her usual bossy self. I am wondering if the grass I give her is a problem. I cut back on it and just give a little for a treat and the calcium deposits are less and the odor is better. It is kind of weird because actually her sister Abbey has way more deposits than Zoe but it is Zoe that is always at the vet.

Last summer I noticed an odor in their cage but thought it was due to less air circulation in the downstairs TV room where they have gone for July and August for the past 5 years. This is the first year I have just left the air conditioner on so they can stay upstairs in the kitchen.

Has anyone else noticed slight weight loss during the summer months. Both my girls are down a little but both are eating well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Yes.

Ours drop weight when the A/C first comes on. I think they dislike the sound and vibrations it produces until they get used to it.

Later in the summer they usually stabilize, though.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Sorry to be slow to answer. I haven't been on for a week.

Pepper did have a polyp in her bladder which fell apart (vet said it was" friable") when it was removed, so we couldn't send it off for analysis.

She had a tumor in her uterus which we didn't send for analysis because we'd already spent so much money. So we don't know if there is any cancer.

She recovered well from her surgery, recovered from her recent bladder infection, and her bumblefoot just recently healed up after about 4 months. Knock on wood. She'll have to take Bactrim for the rest of her life because of the bumblefoot.

Let me know if you have another question.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:05 pm

That is a great update! I hope the feet stay in good health! (I battled foot issues for perhaps a year with Nina)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:48 pm

That's awesome that she has recovered so well from *all* of that. Kudos to you for your good care.

Continued best to her and to you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks. And as you know, the good care is mainly from daughter #1.

Lynx, we're checking the feet often. If it comes back, I'd like to nip it in the bud.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for the information Bookfan. I am happy Pepper recovered and is doing well.

Zoe is doing well so for now so I will keep monitoring her for any changes in her health. I am hoping we can go a few months without a visit to the vet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 am

Good vet-less vibes sent your way. ;-)