Cuy Data

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:47 am

I've never heard of treating "dandruff" as fungus. Maxwell had very flaky skin, both before and after his fungal baths. Is flaky skin considered a fungal issue?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Some quotes from sites online:

"However, the real cause of dandruff is actually a yeast-like fungus, Malassezia globosa, which lives on your scalp, feeding on skin oils."

WebMD
"A very common fungus called malassezia may contribute to dandruff."

Mayoclinic
"A yeast-like fungus (malassezia). Malassezia lives on the scalps of most adults, but for some, it irritates the scalp. This can irritate your scalp and cause more skin cells to grow. The extra skin cells die and fall off, making them appear white and flaky in your hair or on your clothes."

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:32 pm

My teddies appeared to have dandruff. After a bout with ringworm, for which everyone got Malaseb baths, the dandruff was gone. Doesn't mean that all flaky skin is fungus, but it's a possibility.

Lucky+Cinnamon

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Name: Cinnamon
Date obtained: 3/5/16
Found or purchased: Santa Cruz Animal Rescue
Weight: Currently 31 ounces
Color: Reddish-brown and white
Abnormalities: None
Temperament: Enjoys being petted, hates being picked up. Also can jump approximately 2 feet high.
Health problems: None yet!

lisam

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:34 am

Two of my cuy have passed away this month--one at the start of August and the other two days ago. Both just stopped eating. Couldn't find anything wrong. I hand fed them and they were on antibiotics. Hazel seemed to recover and was eating normally, but a week later was gone. Ollie just never started eating on her own, and I found her dead. I don't know how old either was. Hazel had been in a few homes before she came here. Ollie had been here for 18 months.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your cuys, Lisam.

llothcat

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Name
Norman

Date obtained
About March 2014

Found or purchased where? (please be specific) Hesperia, CA, Jack in the Box Parking lot--He was a craigslist free-bee

Weight 2110g, or 4.6 lbs

Color
white and red

Abnormalities (ie. extra toes) none

Temperament
skittish, but loving once caught. He's getting better at it, too, occasionally approaching my hand just to be petted.

Health problems
some ringworm at the time I got him. A small cyst on his back six months later. Shedding hair near year round, and possibly terrible eyesight,(even for a cavy,) which contributes greatly to his skittish nature.

I am so proud of how far this boy of mine has come. When I got him home, he was so scared that he wouldn't eat even lettuce, didn't know what the heck hay was, and was fully capable of easily clearing the foot tall cage I had him housed in. I'm not sure how old he is, or what his background was, but I'm ok with that. He's a great companion, once you convince him that you do not, in any way, intend to harm him.

He most definitely doesn't trust his eyes much, he mostly sniffs and listens hard.

It's been at least a year and a half of patient handling, and his personality is finally showing. He likes most veggies now. but still hates tomatoes with a passion--that face he's making? I gave him a cherry tomato just before these series of pics. He still eats them, though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:20 pm

He is awfully cute. I'm glad you gave him a loving home [correction] and that you are a master of patience.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

llothcat

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks... I wouldn't have gotten nearly this far with him without resources like this website to help keep me from panicking when something I don't know shows up. I know now that, as a cuy, he will likely not live as long as I'd like him to, but it's my job as his caretaker to make his life the most comfortable that I can. :)

(I'm on page 14 of this thread atm...)

I aim to spoil all my piggies rotten, too.

He also happens to be the most vocal of my herd, with a very distinctive weeeek! It's almost sounds like he's puffing his cheeks out, but I know he physically can't do that...

llothcat

Post   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:52 am

Update on Norman:

I just felt his manudium today, and it feels odd. ( I don't usually pet piggies there, as they don't like it.) But with him, it's like it's jutting out a bit further than it does in my other piggies. Perhaps a birth defect? It would explain his unique sound.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:57 am

What is a manudium?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:58 am

It's manubrium, and it's part of the breastbone.