Two young pigs need home in MA

Mythic

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Hello pig lovers!
This is a sort of courtesy post. Someone in my town is looking to rehome two young pigs (assumed a few years old and female, will update once new information comes up). They were classroom pets at one of the local schools before new regulations kicked in and they have been bounced around from home to home ever since. I am thinking about taking them. My hesitation is that I have a senior pig battling cancer and the vet said that she probably won't make it another year. I am heartbroken but I want her to be pampered and be my center of attention for her final months.

If anyone is interested in these two, they are located in Wayland, MA for no fee (owners suggested a shelter donation after being warned of giving them away for free). This is the craigslist ad link - http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pet/5790293174.html

I am willing to transport them for the right home. If no one comes forward then I will reconsider taking them myself. Thank you

Mythic

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Pigs are 3-4 years old. Sex is unknown but there is no way that they are male/female because they arent any babies! I am assuming female because all of the petstores in the area only sell females

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Hoping they can find a good home!

For what it's worth, your older female might enjoy some company even though she is ill (so sorry to hear she is battling cancer).

Mythic

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you Lynx!
We have tried introducing her to younger pigs in the past but she always gets upset with them. She lost her best friend a few years ago and has since preferred to be an only pig with extra snuggles from me. Although she is sick we are lucky that she is very happy and not in any pain.

greysome

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:21 am

Hi,

I thought I would let you know I intend to take these guineas in in about a week, assuming no one else expresses interest in them between now and then. I'm in the process of getting things moved around here so I can build an appropriate-sized CC cage and make the liners. It's actually why I'm on this site--I researched guinea pigs several years ago as potential pets but decided at the time I wasn't ready for them and now, I'm researching both to bone up on my information and to make sure I give the two (presumably) ladies the least-stressful move I can.

To the OP, if you don't mind my asking, is there a specific vet you can recommend? There are many vets in the area but I'm reluctant to "wait", so to speak, until the cavies need care to discover whether or not the vet is good/knowledgeable with cavies.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:31 am

If you are near Wayland, Dr. Hartman and Dr. Tast at Wellesley Animal Hospital are good with pigs. I also recommend Dr. Corcoran and Dr. Pelletier at VCA Wakefield.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:44 am

Also Dr. Jennifer Graham at Tufts in Grafton.

Mythic

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:56 pm

I am so happy they are getting a home!! Thank you so much greysome! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me of you need any help with the pigs (even just nail clipping!). I have 10 years of experience with guinea pigs and I am more than happy to share my knowledge. Wayland Animal Clinic does see guinea pigs and if you ever need close emergency care, Blue Pearl in Waltham does exotics. Tufts is pretty good at what they do but I have found them a little lacking in customer service from my experience - however, I have only done their emergency. Personally, I go to Integrative Animal Health in Bolton even though it is a bit of a drive because I have been seeing the same vet for my pigs since I got my first pigs 10 years ago. Her name is Dr. Flavia Zorgniotti and she is the only one at the practice that does small animals. She used to own her own practice in Wayland. She does know the vets at Wayland Animal Clinic, especially Dr. Pinsky, and is happy with their services to small animals. So I would suggest you see whomever is more convenient for you. I cannot speak for Wellesley Animal Hospital or Tufts non emergency care because I do not have experience with them. I hope this helps!

greysome

Post   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 am

Thank you mmeadow and Mythic! I will be checking all your suggestions out--I live right at the Wayland border and while I know there are a lot of vet practices around (I live within a 5 minute drive of one), I only hear about them concerning cats and dogs and never about guinea pigs (assuming they even see exotics). I'm weary of trying out a practice without recommendations since the practice's qualifications with the specific animals/species will be the last thing I want to have to wonder/think about if a vet visit is needed. So thank you again, both of you!

Mythic-- Oh dear, I may very well end up bugging you about mundane things concerning cavies when the girls first arrive! I'm new to cavies and previous experience with small animals have taught me the first week or two is generally spent with me checking every little thing to make sure it's normal (with the exception of feeding cavies fresh food, I feel like their care will be most similar to when I had a chinchilla years ago). I just spent an hour or so watching various videos of clipping guinea pig nails....and was considering whether or not to have the girls' first clippings be done by a vet or a local pet store that offer the service so I can see it in person.

Mythic

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Sounds great greysome! So very happy. I spoke to Ed (who has the pigs) this morning and just wanted to make sure that you still wanted to take them. He said he has been led on a bunch by different people expressing interest. If you don't grab them from him in the next few days I may swing by and pick them up so they don't end up in the wrong hands and would be happy to pass them along to you. Just want everyone to stay in the loop. Thank you so much for even considering giving pigs in need a loving home :)

greysome

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:25 am

Hi Mythic,

I know he's been burned before--it was why I suggested that if someone wanted the cavies while I was prepping, he was more than welcomed to home with them instead. I texted him Thursday letting him know where I was prep-wise as we agreed to touch base later in the week and unfortunately, I did have to push back when I would be prepared for the cavies.

It's taking me longer to build/prepare than anticipated since the grids I already had, while sized correctly, were not enough (I forgot over the years, some had mysteriously disappeared and others had to be outright thrown out due to various crafting projects as I moved about), never mind the sheer amount of connectors I broke or lost. I was also planning on making liners but the sewing machine I thought I had in storage turned out to be one of those hand-held quick-fix machines only. I ended up just ordering some fleece liners that will tide over til Black Friday/the holiday season when I can purchase a good sewing machine. By then, I will (hopefully) also finally be able to get a washer/dryer installed as it was supposed to be installed last week but construction of the basement, which was supposed to be done early/mid-last week, is suddenly going longer even though up til then, it was making faster progress.

With the construction now continuing and learning (today actually) that the plan has now changed from just working on my basement to working on the attached home (I'm in a small "apartment" attached to the main house), I'm growing worried about whether or not I would be providing a good environment for the piggies right now. My parents own the property (I ended up moving in for health reasons--ironically because it was a quiet and out-of-the-ways neighborhood and I was told it was the only way they would let me get treatment and recover in peace) and it is extremely frustrating especially as they didn't even tell me about the planned basement remodel until two days before it began. They didn't tell me about the now planned construction to the main house (my brother did when we were trying to figure out some health things arising from the construction).

Ugh--but I'm ranting off-topic. Do you think, even with the construction now continuing on, the piggies would be able to settle in peacefully here? So long as they should settle in fine, I'm more than happy to bring them here (and would be thankful as the 10 lbs of KMS pellets and 15 or 20 lbs of hay I ordered--before remembering Sweet Meadows Farm and their hay is less than 20 minutes from me--would actually end up being used by me). If you think they would be better with you then I wouldn't be upset if they went with you since I know they'll be going to a good home.

Somewhat undercutting the "being okay if they went with you" thing (please don't mistaken--so long as I know they are going to a good home, I'm happy)....they are currently on Sunseed Vita Prima Sunscription and will be transitioned to KMS here. With the hamsters I took in, and the gerbil, I made a cold switch but they were all (presumed) to be young/young adults. Since these piggies are older (3 or 4), I wondered if I should do a gradual transition instead (I've read here that cold switches have been done successfully but am unsure of the cavies' ages and if that affects success or not)

Mythic

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Greysome,
I would say the main concern for pigs is any sort of dust from construction. Since pigs are very prone to getting URI's (upper respiratory infections). Noise is second just because you want the pigs to be comfortable. I am more than happy to house them temporarily but because I have 7 pigs of my own I dont know that I could take on any more pigs for the long term. If you have more of a timeline for construction I could house them and get them to you once it is done. I have plenty of cages and lots of experience building c&c cages so I am happy to help. I do have some spare regular cages with plastic bottoms that you can fill with carefresh or another pig safe bedding until your cage is ready. I also do have some spare grids if you need a few. As for food, I feed all of my pigs oxbow cavy adult food and when getting new pigs I provide them with just that and they like it enough that they take to it right away. I don't have experience with the KMS pellet so I am not sure if it will be tasty enough. The diet they are on currently is quite unhealthy but very tasty so you want to make sure they get something they are willing to eat. If you would like I am happy to get the girls this weekend and you can DM me and we can talk via email/text when the best time you are ready for them is.