Xander - inconsistent poos

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:51 pm

That he is eating lots of hay is very very good!

kthomp66

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 am

**Update:
Xan man had his follow up with our normal vet this afternoon, and aside from some of the smelly, mushy poos mixed with normal ones, he got a fairly clean bill of health. his abdomen is far less distended than saturday night, he is picking at some of his pellets, which i have switched to oxbow, and still eating lots and lots of hay. doctor recommended to keep him on the critical care for the next week, and to lower the doses as he eats more pellets. i've also mixed in a little sweet potato baby food for now. she recommended also staying on the pain medication because his biting at his stomach may be from pain, and it may also help with the straining. pops are still a little squishy, but are better formed now, and we're continuing warm soaks for at least another day. he has a three week check up soon, and if the poop still smells foul or gets worse welll start another antibiotic regimen with probiotics. i'll be hitting him with the ivermectin as soon as the poop situation gets more consistent.
spike seems a little anxious/excited for him to get better so they can play again. :) thanks again everyone.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:54 am

If they've been separated during this illness, you'll have to do full reintroductions again. You can't just put them back together.

kthomp66

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:15 am

they've been in separate cages for about three days now but in the same room. i'm in an apartment with a cat so i don't have much separate room space. what do you recommend or where do you suggest i look as far as reintroduction go?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 am

You'll just have to find a neutral space. Maybe shut the cat up in the bathroom.

Here's the way to go about it:

http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

kthomp66

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 am

**Another update:
First, I wanted to ask in regards to the CC, the ER vet gave us fine grind, but I was looking to order extra as hay/food supplement for both. I saw the regular Apple Banana kind, and I was wondering if there was much of a difference medically/nutritionally, and what everyone else's preference was if you've used it.
Xan man is still pretty touch and go right now. With my school/work schedule, CC feedings are fairly stalled through the day and I am only able to do 8AM, 9PM, 12AM, 3AM, 6AM... There's that gap that I am left unsure if he is eating or not, but by the time I got home today, there was not nearly enough poop to make me comfortable, nor enough hay missing from the bin.
I sterilized his hay bin, dish and water bottle today and re-washed bedding a couple of days ago. Despite being worried over the effects of his illness, I did apply the recommended amount of ivermectin to both pigs. Xander has still been excessively picking, and he has some hair missing around his ears, so I'm wondering if maybe whatever is picking at him could be a contributing factor to his declining health? I'm grasping at straws here, honestly.
I got him to eat a small cube of Alfalfa..not much, as the vet said (and I have read) that it is too rich for him to have a lot of; at this point, I'm just happy to see him eating solid anything, aside from the hay. He is also grazing a lot. Carpet, fleece, clothing, my skin... I'm not really sure what it means, but the vet said grazing was not good. I stop him whenever I see it, but it's hard to keep track while he's in bed.
Thanks in advanced.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 am

I don't have any specific feedback on the apple banana kind but you could try it if you wanted. It sounds like he is not doing well at all. I take it you've read the links posted on this page?

kthomp66

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

Yes, i've read them. We're making another trip to the doctor today. i'm thinking she's going to start another TMZ regimen. i'm also wondering if i should just put him back on his old food from when i got him. it aS some kaytee brand. i gradually made the change from that to per store, but i switched to oxbow fairly quick, so maybe a blend of the two until the other is gone. my boss is going to kill me, but i hope it's worth it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 am

Has he ever had an xray? (not rereading) It sounds like something more could be going on with him. Ask your vet if there could be a concurrent issue you are both missing.

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:16 am

He has never had one before, not since I've had him anyway. We discussed them at the ER, but I ended up declining them.
Xander has done a complete 180 by the looks of him. Doctor put him on TMZ mixed with 5mg of reglan, 0.5cc twice a day for five days, and then if it seems like he's cleared up but poops are still mucous-y, then 5 more days of just TMZ.
I gave him his first dose before work yesterday, and by 8 when I got home, there was an insane amount of poop. Some normal, some irregular, but I think it flushed his system. He is eating like crazy, discharge from his eyes is gone, running around his cage like a wild man, and very very perky now.
I also think part of the issue was the food change. He was on Wild Harvest GP food when I got him, then switched to store brand slowly, then I made the mistake of giving Oxbow when he got sick and he wouldn't touch it. Sure as crap, I bought more Wild Harvest and he's eating completely normal again. I also added a small bit of orange to his and little man's diet for the vitamin C, plus liquid supplement.
Fingers crossed, and hopefully not speaking too soon, but it seems like he's okay for now.
Thanks again everyone. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:05 pm

That is very good news! I hope he continues to do well and eat lots. Do aim at converting to a better diet - I guess, more gradually.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

kthomp66

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you! I'm hoping to get him back on the oxbow within the month, but for now my aim is just getting him to eat. Probably next week i'll start mixing in the Oxbow slowly. i really don't like the wild harvest. too many weird colored things and seeds. i really hate that there aren't many treats for the little ones that don't have dyes or seeds and whatever else in it. Spike will also be switching to oxbow shortly here, as well.