Two Bonded Boars in Kansas Need to Rehome

JX4

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Sad news -- the two boy "babies" born to us and taken in by my daughter's best friend at school need to be rehomed.

They are half-brothers (same dad, different moms), born April 1 and April 2, 2015. I have recent pix but don't know how to post them. Talishan was gracious enough to post their baby pix for me back when they were born, but I can't remember what thread she did that on.

The alpha is Potato (I don't know that they are that partial to their names) and was born April 1 to our Panda. He has wiry fur and is dark gray and white, with a splotch of tan right on his nose.

Jeff was born April 2 to our Snuggles and is the classic orange/tan and white guinea pig that is usually the "generic" piggy picture on most things guinea pig-related. His personality is very laid back and loving. (Jeff LOVES to be held and petted! Potato is OK with/tolerates being held.) Our (now neutered) Twilight is the father of both Jeff and Potato.

I haven't interacted with the boys for almost a year now (the family lives on the other side of town and our girls don't see each other outside of school much). But from what I hear from my daughter's friend they haven't changed much personality-wise, though they have obviously grown bigger.

Her family took the boys in when they were about a month and half old. Within a few weeks it was discovered that her little brother was allergic to them, but the family tried their best to make it work anyway. The piggies' cage was put in the spacious basement storage room next to the girl's bedroom. It is a CxC cage. Even though I don't think the cage is quite big enough (2 x 3 grids) for them, the two get along well. They've been together since birth and Jeff sees no need to challenge his brother for alpha status.

What has changed now is that the girl's brother got bitten by a venomous spider and they had to take him to the ER. The doctor is blaming the guinea pigs (!) for attracting the spiders -- which I think is ridiculous, but the parents are listening to the doctor and not to me. Since their son is allergic to the pigs anyway, I think they are just done.

In any case, we have no room for a 2 x 5 cage (I would want to upsize them) in addition to the 2 x 8 cage we have now for our girls. We could make room for a 2 x 3 cage, but my husband is saying an emphatic NO to our taking the boar brothers in, and my daughters are not too keen on the idea of another cage to clean either. This saddens me, because I feel responsible for them -- they were born to our family, after all. (We didn't know one of our three sows was actually a boar until it was too late.)

The girl's family is going to take Potato and Jeff to the Humane Society if we don't find another home quickly. Our Humane Society will put them down if they can't adopt them out in a short amount of time. So I'm turning to you all here for help.

We live in central Kansas, and I'm willing to drive a few hours if need be. We are about 4 hours away from Kansas City and 3.5 hours away from Oklahoma City, if that helps. These boys are sweet and cute and have no known health problems. They have been together since birth so they need to stay together. They are intact -- have not been neutered.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Do you have pictures of them?

JX4

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm

I do, but I don't know how to post them. I can email or text them to someone else, but I can't make places like photobucket and the like work. I'm not sure why.

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:16 am

I just tried to upload photos to photobucket again and it's just not working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is anyone willing to help me post photos? I'd hate for these boys to end up in the Humane Society because I can't figure out technology.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:26 am

You can email them to me at letsleepingpigslie (at) gmail (dot) com. I'll post them for you.

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:21 am

Thank you so much, Tracis! I just emailed you some photos. I have a few more, but I think those are the best that I have.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:30 am

Here are Potato and Jeff:

Here's Potato:

Potato as baby:

Here's Jeff:

Jeff as a baby:

These boys look so sweet and handsome! I hope they find a home quickly.

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 am

I should note that I have a coroplast base (color brown) that is the size for 2 x 5 grids that I'm willing to give to whoever can take them. We recycled the grids into helping make our 2 x 8 grid cage, so we only have the base to give. The family who has the piggies is willing to give the 2 x 3 C & C cage with them.

If I have a say in who gets the boys, I will not give them "free to good home" because that is dangerous. However, if it is to a proven rescue that can be vouched for by regulars on this board, that's a different story. I want them to go where they will be loved and cared for, because they deserve that.

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 am

I should note that I have a coroplast base (color brown) that is the size for 2 x 5 grids that I'm willing to give to whoever can take them. We recycled the grids into helping make our 2 x 8 grid cage, so we only have the base to give. The family who has the piggies is willing to give the 2 x 3 C & C cage with them.

If I have a say in who gets the boys, I will not give them "free to good home" because that is dangerous. However, if it is to a proven rescue that can be vouched for by regulars on this board, that's a different story. I want them to go where they will be loved and cared for, because they deserve that.

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 am

Sorry for the double post above. That was not intentional.

Also, thank you SO much Tracis for posting the pix for me!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:49 am

You're welcome. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 am

They are adorable! And especially adorable as pups!!