Peekaboo's Medical

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Most medications for pain/inflammation require a steady blood level to be effective. Those meds are not like aspirin/etc. that are designed to be one-off doses if needed.

If you're letting the med levels drop to nothing, it requires a higher dose to get the pain/inflammation under control. He'd probably be more comfortable if you gave it to him every day, or split the dose in half and give it to him twice a day.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Even with the possibility of organ damage? That's what I was worried about. And when the vet suggested I give Fuzz, who can't tolerate the metacam, the smallest drop I can pull up when she's at her worst, I thought that would work for Peekaboo, also. Damn, err dang. Ok, Peek will go back to the 0.05 dosage daily.

However, the "annual" limp has shown up 3 for 3 of the years I've had him - every March or April. I'd hoped since this year is so warm (high 80's already) he'd be able to bypass this. Of course, we don't know what's causing the limp; nothing has ever shown up on x-ray except for some arthritis. This limp only shows up this time of year, every year. Beats the heck out of me and the 4 vets who've seen him.

daveandtiff

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 pm

That is interesting, GrannyJu1. What's weird is that humans who have arthritis can experience seasonal exacerbation of symptoms, often during the Spring (relieved more during the Fall). I wouldn't know if this would crossover to piggies. Have not seen all of your string, but is it one-sided, leg or hip can you tell?

We did the same as you with metacam early on with our little boy who had arthritis. There were days that he was more obviously uncomfortable and these were the days we focused on with dosing (and our doctor did suggest a lower dose, so was giving 0.1cc). I was also worried about his organs, as you are. Turns out his bloodwork was perfect at 8yo. He did have spurts of energy and more comfort on certain days, so I left well enough alone during these moments. Had also offered anti-inflam foods/juices, and did offer oxbow joint tabs in small amount as they have some anti-inflam ingredients (small amount where glucosamine 90mg is present in these, but turmeric, ginger root and yucca are also present).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:19 pm

I'd up the metacam if and as needed, especially since there's a distinct pattern here. You can drop it back down when 'limp season' is over.

Those are very small amounts. I'd be less concerned about long-term organ damage than the more immediate effects of not moving around much -- stiffness worsening, sitting in pee, eating less, sludge forming in bladder, etc. etc.

In other words, ditto bpatters, with a little extra if and as needed for as long as needed. In my experience, the risk of organ damage on long-term, low doses of NSAIDS is minimal. Not zero, but minimal. I've had a bunch of pigs on NSAIDs long term and have yet to have the first problem. Not that it can't happen, just that in my experience it's unlikely, and the problems stemming from chronic discomfort are orders of magnitude greater.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks, everyone! I truly appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I'll put Peekaboo back on his daily dose, and worry about Fuzz next time she seems grouchy/in pain. He also gets the joint tabs. And digestive tabs. And extra Vit C. ;o)

As for the leg/foot/shoulder - it's always the left front. It will only last a day or two (knock on wood!) then goes away for a year or so. I can't remember where the vet said she/they saw the arthritis - all I can recall is something about "leg". If any of you know what arthritis looks like on x-rays, there are 2 sets posted on this thread.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 57&start=0

and

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... c&start=40

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:56 pm

I wonder what might make the spring different. I was thinking about air pressure changes but they change all the time, depending on the weather.

Hoping the pain meds help.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:29 am

It did. He seemed fine last night after the second small dose, not limping, and putting weight on the foot again. I'll watch him closely later this morning and see how he's doing just before what will once again become his daily dose.

On the every other day dosage, he was actually running and playing again earlier this week. One day I was even in the room! It was a wonderful thing to see since he's not done it in so long.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Starting today, Peek will be getting double the usual (normal) amount of Vit. C per vet's orders. We'll see if this helps him get up and play more.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Mocha bear sends get well licks to peek.

Hooe all goes well with the double amount of vit c for peek grannyju

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks, Riahrae! Peek sends some flirtatious nudges back, lol. I'll keep ya'll informed of any changes, good, bad or ugly. ;o)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Glad to see that uptick in weight!