Two Bonded Boars in Kansas Need to Rehome

JX4

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks, it was hard for me to let them go back when they were pups, but we couldn't keep them. We have seven guinea pigs now (two moms, 1 now-neutered dad and four female pups who are now adults) all together in the 2 x 8 cage. The herd is tight.

All the pups (including the boys) were handled a lot from birth, so it's what they expect. I did hear from my daughter's friend that the boys had spats while they went through their adolescent stage, but they settled down after that and Jeff is quite content to let Potato rule the roost. He loves to snuggle with his humans, too. Potato is more wiggly while being held, but is still OK about it.

As I said, I'm willing to drive a few hours. If anyone is relatively nearby and able to give them a good home, please let me know.

JX4

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:13 pm

I haven't had any inquiries about the boys. I don't know how much longer the other family is willing to wait to find them a home. Are there any other sites or ways to try other than Craigs list?

I made fliers and left them at two vet's offices that know me. I also posted on my personal FB page.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm

These are long shots but have you tried Guinea Pig Cages and Guinea Pig Adoption Network? You could also post flyers at pet stores if they have bulletin boards.

http://www.gpan.net/

http://guineapigfinder.com/guineapigs

JX4

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks Catie Cavy.

I successfully posted a listing on the first one, but can't get registered on the guineapigfinder one. It says it sent me an email to activate the account and I have not received it. I will keep trying.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:06 pm

JX4, check your spam folder and see if it went there.

JX4

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:58 pm

I did and it didn't. So unless I messed up my email address when I registered, I can't figure it out. I wonder if they'd let me re-register.

JX4

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Well, my daughter came home from school today and said her friend's dad gave the boys to a friend of his at work.

I can only hope that whoever it is will take care of them properly and are not ones to abuse "free to good home" pets. (I told the family not to offer them that way, but I got the impression the parents were just "done" and I guess they weren't too concerned about that.)

I hope I am just being a worry wart; there is nothing I can do about it now, anyway, since apparently they were given away a few days ago.

I am sad. I was hoping I could have convinced my husband to let us take them, but I did not succeed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm

I understand your concern. I think one of the reasons I could never "rehome" a pet is because I don't think I'd trust people to be responsible (p.s. I have some goldfish that need homes...).

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Since they were given to a co-worker, hopefully they will be well taken care of. Do you think they might be open to a Guinea Lynx care pamphlet? You could print one out and give it to your daughter to give to her friend to give to her Dad to give to his co-worker if that would work.

JX4

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure how much of a "friend" the "friend at work" is. I think he posted a "free to good home" notice at work and this guy answered it.

I'm having a hard time even looking at their baby photos now.

I know my husband was right. We really don't have the space for a cage big enough for two adult boars in addition to the huge one we have for our herd of seven. If they had sold them I'd feel a lot better about it.

JX4

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Where's the link for the care pamphlet? I will print one and give it to my daughter to take to her friend, but there's no guarantee her dad will get it to them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:37 pm

www.guinealynx.info/.html

You can even print a foreign language version!