2016 US Presidential Elections - who do you side with?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:34 am

The part-time problem was ALWAYS there. It isn't Obamacare's fault that employers take advantage of workers. It is the employers' choice to reduce all their employees to part-time, and pay low wages, and not offer benefits. It is particularly egregious when the employer is a huge, multi-billion-dollar corporation with giant profits and high salary for its top administration.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am

Yup.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:19 am

Perils of eroded civic knowledge forewarned by fmr Justice Souter --
Rachel Maddow shares a video of former Supreme Court Justice David Souter talking about the importance of civic knowledge in the maintenance of a democracy.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/perils-of-eroded-ci ... sm_fb_maddow

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm

It is a shame drumf did not learn anything about democracy in school!

JX4

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 pm

I voted early!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:00 pm

I will vote next Tuesday. I didn't think Virginia has much in the way of early voting - so I just vote on election day.

Can't wait!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:08 pm

I voted yesterday (Friday). I've been voting since 1980 and this was the most awful voting experience ever. I feel bad if any were first time voters and this was their only impression of it.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:17 pm

What are the rules around early voting? Can anyone vote early? Aren't there rules?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Early voting rules vary by state. Most states have it, but some don't. In Texas, each county sets the hours and days within certain parameters determined by the legislature.

The lines here have been insane. We drove by four times before they were short enough that we were willing to stand in them. I just hope the high turnout is good for Hillary.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Yes, bpatters, it varies.

In DC you can get an absentee ballot (a different thing) no questions asked. My mom sez in Florida if you're over 70 you automatically get one.

I felt bad yesterday--there was a lady with a baby who stood about as long as I did. They would have let her have a seat, though.

JX4

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:50 pm

That's the reason I voted early. I remember the 2012 election and the line was horrendous. In Kansas we've been able to vote early for about week now. I went on Thursday, and there were about 20 people in line ahead of me. Still, I was able to get in and out in about 30 minutes. In 2012 I waited about 2 1/2 hours, and it looks like more people are going to be voting this year than in 2012.

What's more, my daughter's school scheduled a choir program that evening. I can only think they believed voting was the previous week. There is no way we could both vote and go to the school program on the same day. I'm so glad we had the option to vote early.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:53 pm

I early voted on October 17th. I'm so glad that is done!

RooneysGMom

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am

Both DH and I early voted as well (here in Colorado it's actually a mail in/drop off voting; you can still however vote in person on election day) Ballots are sent to all registered voters about three weeks before and once you send in/drop off you can check your ballot's progress online-so much easier than standing in long lines like we had to do when we lived in Wisconsin or Illinois.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 am

Much the same here in WA. I received my ballot about 10 days - 2 weeks ago and voted a week ago.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Return of the Church Lady. Funny at the beginning and end, the middle, meh: http://mashable.com/2016/11/06/dana-carvey-church-lady-snl-election-2016/#TN6MoylOL5qL

sef1268

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 pm

I voted last week, and am glad to have that over and done with.

I'll just be glad when the same can be said of this whole crummy election.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 pm

My son and I sent in our ballots last week, I'll mail my daughter's tomorrow.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm running our local polling station Tuesday. It should be an interesting day. Hopefully I'll have time to vote.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 am

Tomorrow I am running to our polling place after work. Mr. has already voted. I missed Early Voting. I've lost friends this election season. I apparently was unaware the depths of some of my friends' thoughts and feelings on certain topics where I cannot overlook their POV. I'm already debating not going "home" for Christmas.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:48 am

Sounds like fun CavyHouse.

Big day tomorrow, really big day. (For those of you old enough to remember Ed Sullivan)

Yeah, RavenShade, really polarizing election. Like living in separate universes.

453 posts