2016 US Presidential Elections - who do you side with?

JX4

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:47 pm

RavenShade, I know what you mean about the depth of friends' and relatives' POV on things. But I have made up my mind to not lose any friendships (at least on my end) because of this. Yes, I think some of my friends and family are dead wrong about some things, and that they get their news from the wrong sources, etc., etc. But, I know they have good motives most of the time (or they wouldn't have been my friends in the first place; besides, I hope they can say the same about me). If we only surround ourselves by people who think like we do, we create a bubble that only intensifies and perpetuates this unhealthy polarization. And if I exist in their sphere as one who stands opposed to their POV and they don't end the friendship, I am helping to prevent them from totally isolating themselves in that bubble and they help me the same way. Besides, we have more in common than politics. So I am determined that as far as I can control it, I will not lose friends over this.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:49 pm

I've been friends with some people since childhood, and am coming to find that their adult biases and prejudices are way worse than I find acceptable or tolerable. Or people in our hobby group who aren't just rednecks (I say that because I grew up country) but racist anoles. I'm not saying I only surround myself with people who are just like me - anybody who really knows me knows I have a wide variety of friends - but I am also not of the opinion that I have to suffer fools. My husband and I are registered for opposite parties. My stepson is way more into politics and way more liberal than I am. I can disagree on politics. But if (an example) someone honestly and truly believes that we should bring back lynching or that Hitler wasn't such a bad guy - that person is no longer welcome in my life. But it's not just me. I've been unfriended by several people when I wouldn't back down from support of refugees or trans rights. Apparently my POV is just too much for them as well.

I've never been through an election cycle where there was this much vitriol and deep down hate.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:19 pm

No kidding. It is really terrible. And when you find out some of these deeply held beliefs, it changes how you think of that person forever.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:29 pm

It's affecting our kids, too. Some are fearful. Some are hateful. Some are bullying other kids. They reflect what they see and hear.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 am

I wish I had volunteered with the Board of Elections. Maybe one person more would have made the whole process a little less awful.

At least two work-oriented election parties tonite.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:46 am

It is horrible the way that Trump's campaign and his behavior has infected public and private discourse. Of course, he didn't create it, but he made it "acceptable" to some people.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:11 pm

well...it's happening.

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:19 pm

Sadly, I worry that no matter who wins, it will take us as a nation a long long time to heal from these self-inflicted wounds.

We so needed to move forward in the world. So many important issues that need addressing - global warming, jobs, the economy, pandemics, etc. But we are so divided right now, we'll be hobbled for quite some time

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:02 am

Hobbling is because a knuckle-dragging thug has just been elected by about half of the country. It is that half that has inflicted wounds.

Being divided certainly has been causing problems - especially since the Republicans in Congress won't work across the isle. Without that you don't have a functioning democracy.

"We so needed to move forward in the world. So many important issues that need addressing - global warming, jobs, the economy, pandemics"

Hillary would have addressed these, Trump won't.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:31 am

On the global warming front, we are well and truly f'd. It will be a republican playground with no adults in the room.

I think we need to vote with our money. We need to identify companies whose leadership works against us.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:56 am

"I think we need to vote with our money. We need to identify companies whose leadership works against us."

Good. That's a positive action & money is always a good tool.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 pm

And thank you Couchon for understanding my vote and opinions don't come from a place of hate, I can’t ask for more..

This country has survived fighting for our independence with the world power of the time, another war with England, The Great War, World War II, The Depression, assassinations of our leaders, The Cold War, Nixon/Watergate, a brutal Civil War, 911, and many other tragic occurrences. Donald Trump will not be the one who takes us down. America has a spirit that cannot be conquered by one man.

As ridiculous as I believe many of the opinions and predictions, they prove by the very right you have to voice them, we are built to withstand greater adversaries than Donald Trump

TexCavy

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:04 am

I voted against this horror. I melted down big time and sort of repeatedly since then and cannot guarantee that I wont again. But I am working towards healing now. Still can't believe we've gone back to the dark ages.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 am

I can't recall an election in which there was so much opposition to BOTH candidates. I've encountered Republicans against Trump, Democrats against Clinton. Our building super who supported Obama said about Clinton "I'd like to see a woman president, just not this woman." A pretty conservative co-worker who I was sure would vote for Trump said he and his son were only voting for state and local offices and leaving the presidential section blank.

Most of the conservatives I work for/with seemed underwhelmed by Tuesday's results.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:51 pm

It's not "one man" -- it's the party now in power. What they can do is limitless if the new courts decline to enforce our legal protections. Also: gerrymandering: perhaps not legal, but damage already done; voter suppression: legal in many of its manifestations, like closing polling locations in unfriendly locations.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Ditto, ditto, and more ditto, mmeadow!

I still have my Feel the Bern and Bernie for pres button that is covered by a hand drawn Hillary H and arrow (and "Hillary") that I wear on my purse every time I go into town.

My community went for Hillary. Trump winery is down the road from where I live.

NMP

GPIG

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:10 pm

Me and 60 million other voters Lynx. Don't blame me, blame your own party and the Republican party. As I was telling you a year ago I couldn't vote for Hillary, 60 million other voters were doing the same. You didn't listen and neither did your party. Trump listened.

His own party didn't' believe it and thought they would force a Jeb Bush or the like down our throats. We said no more - we gave Bush 8 years and then Obama 8 more, it wasn't and isn't working. If it has to be taken apart, so be it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:13 pm

I was just talking to my sister, trying to gel some ideas and here's my bottom line as to why Trump is unacceptable as president.

Above all, he's made lots of racist statements about minorities. Absolute total deal killer for me.

He has made authoritarian, fascist comments and expressed admiration for dictators. Can he be controlled? German politicians thought they could control Hitler. You know how that went. He solved a lot of economic problems & the German people loved him for it - the ones who weren't tortured or killed, that is. People are getting tired of the Hitler comparisons, but they're so striking they're hard to avoid. And a lot of those comparisons would work with any dictator. That's why we feel we've lost our democracy.

Also, his erratic, impulsive, uncontrolled, vindictive personality is a real danger as a head of state.

My biggest problems about him, my fear and revulsion come from non-idealogical issues. It's way beyond that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:30 pm

GPIG, have you even bothered to click on any of the links Bookfan or I have put up?

You have voted for a monster.

It is on you.

All that has made America great, he will destroy.

It is on you.

Follow the links. You are dead wrong.

You drank the cool-aid. You were conned. You may not know what you have wrought - I do not know how long it will take for you to realize this but realize it, you will.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:40 pm

If America were a pure Democracy, Hillary would be president. But we aren't and she isn't. We are a Republic with a democratic form of Government where some issues are decided in a Democratic process. That process cannot be taken away by Donald Trump or his Republican congress that 2 weeks ago everyone here seemed giddy about because they didn't support him or his bid to be president. Reading in this forum now one would think Paul Ryan wrote The Art of The Deal. Not sure anyone is going to get that reference, but let’s see – Bookfan might get it though (I’ll still like her even though she hates me now)

Look, I get it, you all underestimated him and are pissed. He embodies everything you hate. He's not my favorite person either but again, and I can't say it enough, for me he is still a better choice than Hillary – all the Hitler comparisons aside and being told I’m conned will never change that. To me, he confirmed it by winning. He outworked her, had a far better strategy, allocated and spent his resources more wisely, understood the game, and won. Every battle is won before it’s fought. He knew it, and the look on Hillary’s face confirmed she realized it too late.

All of that resonates with me as a far more capable person. He's not Hitler, he's a manager, that's all the president is, no more no less, and America is sick of poor managers trying to interject their ideology, bottlenecking progress. I’ve been down this road before when I voted for Obama and was told the country was doomed. Go march on Washington, it’s your right, and I support you because protest is a great thing in America. I would give my life for each and every one of you to maintain that right regardless if I agree with the cause of your protest.

The people spoke by way of process that is unique to America and just one of the things I believe is great about America. Our framers were leery of a pure Democracy and for good reason.

453 posts