Pet Store Problem; Need advice

Carter

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:02 am

What would it take to make it against the law to sell any animal? From turtles to dogs? Where one would literally have to adopt an animal, and register it and what its used for.

Margi

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:03 am

Our closest pet store is right next to the grocery store. My daughter loves to go in and see the animals. One day last year she went in and saw the piggies. One was lying on the (wire) cage bottom, legs in a weird position and feet very swollen, crying pitifully. She went to the cashier, told her about the piggy, and was told it was fine. My daughter persisted, and they wouldn't even check on the poor baby. They had MY DAUGHTER lift it out of the cage and bring it to the checkout counter, where it tried to drag itself along on what was clearly TWO broken legs. One was a compound fracture (bone sticking out). On follow-up, they claim to have taken it to a vet and that it was recovering at the home of an employee.....but we did notice that they never put a piggy in a wire bottom cage again - one hopes the vet read them the riot act. They put cardboard over the wire bottom and then put in carefresh now. When we were there looking yesterday they didn't have any for sale, but had a boy piggy for adoption. He had pretty crusty eyes and didn't look too healthy to me. My daughter said he felt "squishy", whatever that meant....I won't even buy supplies there anymore (especially since I found out that the next closest store carries Oxbow).

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:45 pm

I have good news! The pet store is finally doing what had I asked my letters, complaints, and threats. I stopped in their today with a co-worker. I told her I didn't want to do this but I had to, I just couldn't drive by. What I saw was a great early Christmas present. The pet store only had one piggie left, a new one. It was housed in a wire bottom cage still but half of the bottom was wood for the little one to take refuge on (its a start.). The cage had fresh water, pellets, HAY!, and a nice shelter. The little piggie looked very content. I picked her up and her nails were trimmed and the pads of her feet were nice and smooth. She was very friendly. I can't believe my letters and complaints finally paid off. Thanks to everyone for your help, too! I will continue to check on this pet store though to make sure they continue to comply and I also wrote an e-mail to our state's humane society about them and I am sure that they will check on this store often too. Thanks again everyone!

Margi

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:14 pm

How wonderful that you apparently made a difference!

SuzisZoo

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:20 pm

That is great news! Good for you for speaking up!!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:44 am

Thank you for doing it it. It's great when courage and persistence pay off!