UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks!

I'll have a look for rolled oats. If his weight drops significantly then I'll try him on them. I don't like the idea of critical care unless it's a necessity.

I think I just like to stress myself out as I'm used to chunky boars. I have another boy, Jon Snow who has never reached 1.1kg. He's perfectly healthy but I do wish he was 1.2kg, but that's just the way he's built. Sleek and agile, haha!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Huge ditto across the board to bpatters. Almost all of our seniors have done this. Shame it doesn't work the same way in humans. :-/

As long as he restabilizes, it will actually help take some stress off arthritic joints.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:06 am

Hi all.

Anselmo has been doing really well, he did have an operation at the beginning of November to remove a cyst from his cheek and despite a few days of bloat he's recovered really well.

However, for a couple of weeks I've noticed that he moves his head really jerky. He can walk in a straight line fine, he can move around his cage fine and he can find his food and syringe (Metacam) fine.

But, if he can smell food he'll wave his head all over the place sniffing for it. If he's out at floor time he does it too when he's looking around.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this?

He's 6.5 years old, has pea eye and arthritis.

I've been told by someone that it could be a sign that he's losing his eyesight and is struggling to focus. He has no obvious signs of cataracts or cloudy eyes but it has been noted in the past few years that his sight might be failing as when I tried to bond him with my other pigs he seemed surprised when they appeared on one side of him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:22 am

It sounds somewhat unusual. Glad to hear he is otherwise doing well.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:38 am

Well, it's not just a wobbly head. It's started to affect his teeth. His front teeth are now starting to slant and he can't bite through veg.

I'll be taking him to the vet asap to get his teeth checked over. In the meantime although he is a bladder sludge pig I've upped his pellets as he can pick those up and he's having critical care in addition. Which he is currently eating without being forced.

We checked his dates too and we think he's actually more likely to be 7 years old.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 am

Slanted teeth may indicate muscle weakness. I think you're familiar with the chin sling. I imagine a complete dental exam with xrays would show if there were an abscess or anything else affecting the teeth.

Hoping you are able to help him!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:42 am

I never even thought of that Lynx. I'll mention it to the vet when I see him, along with the chin sling idea.

Is it possible for arthritis to spread into the jaw? I'm guessing it is. He was diagnosed with arthritis sometime last year and the vet said he was really surprised that he wasn't showing signs of issues as it was one of the worst cases he's seen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:59 pm

I have never heard of arthritis in the jaw. Unsure how that would happen!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 am

We went to the vet on Monday. He had his front teeth trimmed straight and his back teeth checked and they are all okay. Phew!

The vet thinks that he has an infection in his ear, or something neurological is going on. He thinks this because when you pick him up he lets his head hang down until he is on surface or stopped moving. When he put him on the floor he stands okay but seems to stand in a widened stance, as if to balance himself.

We came away with a some zithromax and an appointment for two weeks.

I had to work yesterday so I had to leave him all day, but when I came home I noticed that he hadn't eaten very much. I watched him for a moment and noticed that his movements were very erratic. He couldn't balance at all and kept laying down to balance himself. He had a bit of veg from me but he really couldn't coordinate himself to get it into his mouth. So I've been syringe feeding him.

I managed to get today off work to feed him thankfully. This morning he hadn't moved at all in his little hospital cage but had weed and pooped.

I mixed some CC for him but he really wanted his breakfast so I gave him some veg by hand.

I've just got him out of the cage to give his rear a bit of a wash as he's been sitting in pee all night. His balance seems much better and he can look at me and his food without his head waving around, but his back legs aren't working now. His right will move a little but he doesn't seem to realise he has a left leg.

Hopefully it's all connected to whatever is happening to him and the antibiotic will help.

I've had a few pigs before that have had something neurological happen that affected their balance or ability to walk, but I've never seen something like this wherebthe condition changes.