young pigs passing away

Traudl64

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:21 am

My pigs are ill. I don't know,whats the reason. They have lost some weight-not mutch perhaps 40-70g.They are like normal pigs and the old one have gotten their weight back again after 3 days. But 3 Young one passed away. We visited the exotic vet. he doesn't know any reason
Do you know something to help.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am

I am sorry for your lost. RIP little ones. What are you feeding them? Have you taken them to the vet? Have you started hand feeding?
https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
Are they indoor or outdoor pigs? Have you separated the females and males?
Are the running round or all hunched over and fluffy? How many more are sick like this?
I would suggest taking sick ones to the vet. A cavy savvy vet, and hoping they get better real soon. I hope you will not be breeding anymore of your piggies as so many need a good home.

Traudl64

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:06 pm

thank you. i've adopted my first pigs in summer 1984, never I had something like this. The pigs are living indoor and guinealynx.info tells exactly the way, how i'm feeding them.
My only boar has visted the vet 2 years ago. he is not able to make babies now. he is living with his women in a large selfmade Cage.
only one pig was handfeeded. the other has lost very Little weight.now I'm Controlling the weight often.
you are not able to see anything wrong at the pigs. the are popcorning, running through the Cage and 4 hours later one of them maybe dead.
I had 12 pigs. 3young are dead 7 old lost weight, and have gotten the weight back again.2 had nothing until now. 2 have visited the vet. one of them seems to be ill suddenly. I was going to the vet at once. he was looking at the pig- the pig was passing away.
I was looking in the hay for toxic plants. their are no toxic plant in the hay. The vet was looking for endoparasits- and exoparasits- he has found nothing. my vet is an exotic vet
I'm not breeding. Sometimes a pregnant pig needs a home. This is the way I have gotten babies 3 times since 1984. all boars are visiting the vet for neutering.
My English is not very well, I'm sorry

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:39 pm

You did a good job explaining what is happening.

I am so sorry you are losing your guinea pigs! Are there any signs of illness before they die? Is there excessive loss of weight? Has the vet performed any necropsies to see what caused the deaths? Usually with a necropsy, a vet will have an idea of what was wrong and will send out tissue samples for testing. Especially the guinea pig who died right in front of him, he should have moved quickly to try to determine if there is some sort of bacterial infection or what.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Traudl64

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Thank you.
it is a small loss of weight. only 1 had lost Little more and I started handfeeding. 2 Days later, she had her weight back again.untill 4 hours bevor passing away, the only sign of illness is the loss of weight. it was sunday at the time my Wonder died in front of a vet. the exotic vet was not in the clinik at that time. My exotic vet told me to bring him the next dead pig for an examination. now I'm cooling Marouli and will bring her to him tomorrow

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 am

Where do you buy your hay from? Is it possible that pesticides or herbicides have been used on or near the hay?

Traudl64

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:25 pm

I'll ask the petshop.

Traudl64

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:56 pm

We have visited the Vet again. Betty suddenly seems to be ill. She has an infekt. he doesn't know, what Kind of Infekt. She has a Sepsis/Bacteraemie . All Pig are eating Enroefloxacin now and we ae hoping the best,
the vet has sent Marouli to get a necropsy .
I'm not knowing the english words. I'm hoping you know the latin medical words.
Thank you very mutch for your Patience with my Little English

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I hope the necropsy will give you some answers. Be sure to weigh the guinea pigs while they are ill. You may want to read www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

How sad--I hope Betty gets well and the others do not get sick.

Traudl64

Post   » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:53 am

Thank you. I started handfeeding yesterday. Betty started eating hay again today. The others didn't get sick until now.

Traudl64

Post   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 am

Update: all Pig are ill- noone is dead. I'm handfeeding 9 Pigs. I hope Maroulis necropsy will help us.
I have changed the hay. in northern Bavaria have some pigs an infection with Mycoplasma caviae. I'm living in northern Bavaria. I'm hoping , it is not that.