Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 am

Keep us posted. If Sandy's upset at being separated from Cupid, you may be doing more harm than good, but if he's able to eat better, then that should help Sandy.

Be aware you'll have to go through (re)introductions once you are able to put them back together. That said, if it helps Sandy's eating, hopefully it will be worth it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 am

Just separate them for feeding time. You can plop one in a laundry basket and leave the other in the cage, then put them back together when the slow eater is finished.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Ditto bpatters. Keeping them together during "normal" time may stimulate Sandy to eat.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm

My piggy Prince, male, 7 years, is suddenly unable to walk and balance himself. He falls down every time he tries to walk. He has remained healthy and active throughout his life. This is his first vet visit. He has a habit of climbing up on his cage, so I am assuming the injury is from that. Took him to the vet last week and she said x-rays look normal but the space between his hip bones have reduced and there is an impingement on his hip bones. Another reason could be old age. I will be sending x-rays pictures to Lynx for a second opinion from you all.

The vet prescribed:
Digene syrup 0.3ml once a day X 5 days,
Meloxicam 0.09ml once a day X 5 days,
Vitamin C,
Homeopathy medicine for hip bones twice a day X 1 month

I am still giving him painkiller every alternate day. His condition hasn’t improved yet. He has lost 50 grams in 9 days.
Two days back I noticed he was eating really less and drooling. He has reduced eating his favorite cucumber and carrot. He mostly eats capsicum, tomatoes, coriander and a little hay. Started him on Critical Care from today. Vet said his molars have overgrown and might need trimming. He has an appointment after two days.

My concern is his inability to walk. If his x-rays are normal then what could be the actual reason? His old age suddenly cannot show up in two weeks, right?

Also, since he is drooling how do I know if whatever food he is eating is actually going in his stomach or everything coming out via juice from his mouth? Because I see more juice than food in his cage. He scared to me death when he was eating tomatoes. He was entirely covered in red and I thought it was blood. I don’t want him to go through unnecessary surgery at this age unless extremely required. Does his x-ray suggest he needs molar trimming?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Hard decisions.

If I had a seven-year-old pig that was in otherwise good health -- eating/pooping/drinking/peeing/moving normally/interested in life -- I'd probably have his molars planed.

But with a significant other problem, like the inability to walk or move much, I'd have that weigh that against how much longer he's likely to have to live, and whether he could be pain-free. And with him drooling, you really don't know how much he's getting into his stomach, and so may develop digestive issues.

His inability to walk could be from an injury, but he could also have had a stroke. His inability to balance argues more for stroke than for injury, and that could also cause the drooling. Molars are more likely the problem, though.

Full disclosure -- I generally come down on the side of euthanasia earlier rather than later. I can't stand the thoughts of them living in pain, and if I think I'm keeping them alive only for me, and not because they really have some good weeks and months left, I'll opt to have them put down. Surviving for only a few more days doesn't count for much, in my book.

Good luck to you and him, and let us know how he, and you, are doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I was wondering if there was a possible heart issue too.

I left the pictures larger so you all could see the detail. I can't say we are skilled at providing feedback but if anyone sees anything they think could help, I hope they will post.

Here you are (click to view):

www.guinealynx.info/pics/Pooja_Mehta-1.jpg

www.guinealynx.info/pics/Pooja_Mehta-2.jpg

www.guinealynx.info/pics/Pooja_Mehta-3.jpg

www.guinealynx.info/pics/Pooja_Mehta-4.jpg

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Nothing jumps out at me as being terribly wrong, but I do wonder about the left picture of the skull. The top teeth look slightly uneven to me, but I don't know whether that would cause a problem even if it were true.

I also wonder about elongated roots on the top teeth, but as I say, I'm not a radiologist, and am not at all sure what I'm looking at.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Here's an image of elongated roots from the guide:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm

I can clearly see the elongated roots on the guide picture, and there's something that looks like it might be the same on Pooja Mehta's pictures. But those aren't nearly as clear, so it's hard to tell.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Thank you bpatters and Lynx.

bpatters- Prince has never had dental issues until two weeks back. He is still interested in his food but cannot eat much. He eats a few slices and then done. Can molars overgrow in two weeks?

One of the top teeth is slightly broken, so that could be a reason for looking uneven. When do elongated roots develop? From birth or whenever?

I am confused with respect to the surgery. Should I give him Critical Care the entire day tomorrow and take him for the surgery day after since he has become really weak and Critical Care will give the necessary energy for the surgery? Or should I go tomorrow itself since he cant eat and is drooling? He has been going through a lot of torture since last few days with respect to X-rays, examination, handfeeding, etc..

I really cant see my boy suffering so much. I am really scared. Please please help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm

I do not know why elongated roots develop. I am guessing some is genetic - and it's possible that bone loss in the jaw might contribute. Dental issues can indeed develop in a couple weeks. An evaluation from a veterinary dentist who really knows guinea pigs is invaluable in figuring out if there is an issue, what it is, and how to correct it, if possible.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd keep feeding him Critical Care right up until he goes in for the surgery. Guinea pigs don't have to fast before surgery like other animals, because they can't vomit and there's no risk of aspiration.