Abbey's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:55 pm

Thanks Lynx. I will try and get a picture of her front teeth to post. I would like an opinion on whether or not they look like a normal length.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Abbey's vet appointment is tomorrow. Besides the dropping of pellets, which seems to be better I believe she is developing pea eye. I have noticed a drooping of the lower lid on one eye and when I pulled the lid down last night there may be a small lump. Some days it looks almost normal and other days it is more pronounced.

I will discuss these issues with her vet and I will also bring up heart issues. I feel she took too long coming out of the anesthetic when she had her sebaceous cyst surgery. Also there was one time when she was in a deep sleep and it took several prompts to wake her up. Now possibly pea eye. She also has the tear duct problem on the other eye.

Any other questions I should ask the vet tomorrow?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Sounds like you have it covered. The tear duct problem, does it get blocked? Have you tried a warm, wet compress to loosen things up?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Lynx: I have tried warm, wet compresses in the past. I am not even sure it is a tear duct problem. She has had this issue for over two years. Her eye fills with cleaning fluid when she grooms but it doesn't drain away properly and can run down her face. It only happens when she washes her face. Passing her front paws across her face and eyes triggers the release of cleaning fluid.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:42 am

It does sound like the lower duct to collect and recirculate the fluid may be blocked. If her eyes are not suffering from dryness, that is a good thing.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:12 pm

I love my vet. She is so open to any information I have learned here and bring to discuss with her. She had not heard of the possible relationship between a compromised heart and pea eye but said it could make sense.

She said she sees bulging eyes in rabbits with heart issues. It makes sense that a rise in blood pressure could cause an increase in pressure in the eyes. Maybe that is why some members have seen an improvement using Lasix. Lasix being a diuretic would remove excess fluid which in turn could lower blood pressure.

She also mentioned that blood pressure changes daily and even throughout the day depending on food eaten, temperature, movement, etc. Maybe that is why some days Abbey's eye looks almost normal and other days the small pea eye is more noticeable. Maybe it comes down to blood pressure???

Anyways, Abbey's eye was good today and the pea eye was hardly visible but her vet feels it could be just starting. She checked her teeth. Abbey wasn't cooperating so she didn't get the best look. She seems to be eating her pellets without too much trouble and she is eating everything else. She watched her chew and she felt the chewing motion was normal so for now I am going to monitor her. Her weight is consistent.

She checked her heart. It was steady and she heard no abnormalities so for now I will monitor her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Heart heart heart heart heart!!!!!

What did the vet do to 'check'?

See if you can get a trial of benazepril based on clinical sign.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:22 pm

Other than the eye issues Abbey is full of energy, eating well, digestive system great. She is by no means lethargic or showing any other signs of heart issues. She is a healthy weight.

Her vet listened to her heart. She could hear no abnormalities. I am not sure there are enough signs indicating heart issues at this time.

If I do try benazepril what improvements would I see? Would the pea eye disappear?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:28 pm

During cuddle time this week I noticed Abbey's right eye is starting to get cloudy. It started out very subtle and I had to have her out under certain lighting to even see the changes. It is gradually getting more obvious but still not noticeable when she is in her cage.

Abbey is 5 1/2 years and because of the gradual onset I am thinking cataracts rather than injury. This eye does have pea eye but is otherwise normal. There is no redness or damage that I can see.

When I had her in for a checkup back in March 2015 her vet said she noticed cataracts starting to form when she examined her eye.

Abbey hasn't been to her vet since November 2015 so I made an appointment for Friday September 30th.

My friend's pig has cataracts and they monitor the pressure of her eye. In humans I was not aware cataracts caused the pressure to build. I thought is was glaucoma that was the problem. Can cataracts cause pressure to build in the eye?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 pm

I was not aware of that potential issue either. I do not know the answer to your question but do know that guinea pigs with cataracts manage fine with impaired vision.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Not sure what to do. I had Abbey to her vet yesterday for a checkup. Upon examination her vet felt cysts on both ovaries. One is about the size of a marble and the other one smaller.

I took her in because I was concerned about ovarian cysts. Her heat cycles are lasting longer (about three days) and she is out of sorts during that time and rumbles around her sister. She doesn't come out of her house as much during her cycle and her appetite is down a little for the three days which makes me wonder if she was in pain. Afterwards she is back to normal. She has no other symptoms such as crusty nipples or hair loss.

I hesitate to have her spayed because she turns 6 years old tomorrow. Both eyes are solid white with cataracts and she has been gradually losing some weight over the year which seems to be common in senior pigs. She has lost 30 grams since September 2016. She was 1165 grams at the vet yesterday. She had some trouble after her last surgery and it took 36 hours to get her back legs working and under her.

I have another appointment in a month to check on the size of the cysts. If they have grown I will need to make a decision. I hate to put her through surgery only to lose her during or after but can't let her suffer with the pain of growing cysts. I am going to give her Metacam during her heat cycles to help with any discomfort.

I am wondering if hormone therapy might be an option for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:46 pm

I understand why you might not want to opt for surgery.