Mercer Money

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I caught part of a fascinating interview of the author of an article about the Mercers on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/player/embed/521083950/521121045#

Apparently our value as humans, are real true value, our worth, is determined by money in the bank. Anyone on welfare has a negative human value.
As unamerican, as unchristian, as you can get.

How ironic that (what I hope is) a very few wealthy people have absolutely no value to humanity.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 pm

You hope in vain, Lynx. Have you taken a look at the Republicans in Congress lately? They've got no value to humanity, and no empathy, respect, or consideration for people who aren't exactly like them.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Unfortunately, you make an accurate observation.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 pm

This is an example of how stuck I am. On one hand Robert Mercer is a buffoon greater than Trump himself. On the other hand, he is one of the most brilliant computer scientists alive. How does that much intelligence get so stupid? And how then do we say; support scientists because they are doing the work of humanity when scientists like Mercer and cronies form or join, buyout companies worth umpteen billions, then spread that money around on their pet stupidity causes?

Really I'm' stuck I can't take any more form either side. The complete polarization created by this 2 party system is going to destroy us. I'm certain some guy as smart as a Mercer could even create a model with a formula like Np(R/D) x Dp(D/R) = a big explosion where we all die... x 10!!!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:44 am

I think of greed being the overriding sin of people like Mercer. Greed, shaping worth, shaping their view of the world.

Though I am not a religious person, "There, but for the grace of God, go I" resonates. My interpretation is that we are all vulnerable, we could all be in a bad position. Our bodies and minds are frail and it is an illusion to think something might not happen to them, to each of us. Greed never comes from a position of love and caring.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:52 pm

The Republican Party wasn't always like this. I think this started becoming a dominant theme for them with the advent of Reaganism. And then escalated with the "Freedom" Caucus.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

I totally agree that the republican party wasn't always like this. What they have become is a crime.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 am

In the movie about Steve Jobs, Jobs and Wozniak are having an argument about acknowledging the accomplishments of others which Jobs would never do. Wozniak ends the argument yelling "You can be gifted and decent at the same time".

I agree greed is at the heart of most of it. In people like Mercer, I think it is a greed for power. The only way they feel they have worth, money and the gift of brilliance isn't enough, is if they have power over others. Power is so dangerous.

I really don't know much history of the Republican party but I'm sure you are correct. I know more history of the Democratic party because I've always been very pro labor. There was a time, before my time, I would have been a hardcore Democrat. They have disappointed also. I'm not defending The Republican party by saying that. I dislike both parties equally.

rpaws

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm

I dislike both parties equally also.

Ironic to think both parties have switched viewpoints. The Republican Party was progressive originally (with Lincoln as first Republican president) and now conservative. The Democrat party did the opposite. This is due to the Civil rights laws made by LBJ (Texas)democrat administration. The south didn't like them. This is how the KKK, started by southern democrats is now Republican.

In my opinion, Democrats are getting to far to the left and the Republicans too far to the right. Funny thing is people don't realize if this continues they are going to "meet in the middle ideologically.

I have got news for both parties. I, like most people, do NOT care who is using the women's public bathroom. "They" have been using the bathroom for years. I do NOT care what consenting adults due in the privacy of their bedroom. Stop getting bogged down in little things. Fix the economy, work on jobs, get a healthcare system like Canada does and the rest of the "first world countries." Disease does not respect money.

Oh and intelligence and decency so not have a direct correlation. Just look at the Nazi leaders. Goring had a 138 IQ. Eichmann was highly intelligent. He spoke Spanish, some Yiddish and had studied Hebrew. That is why Trump saying he is a very smart guy does not automatically inspire confidence. Einstein, Lincoln, Leonardo da Vici, St Paul were intelligent. So were Hitler, Napoleon, and Stalin.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I totally do not think Democrats are moving too far to the left. But I wish they would move further (a few are more progressive).

GPIG

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm not sure what it is exactly. I feel most elected officials from both parties really care about service. Service to their constituents, service to their country, and service to mankind. I see greed and hypocrisy. It's imploding, and I've felt that way for a while

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:46 pm

The republicons have frequently acted against the wishes of the constituents, not in service to their country, with little to no regard for our health, welfare, and rights. The greed and hypocrisy, I agree is there.

It's behind so many of their votes. My teapatty rep voted for all of the trump agenda, which includes voting for:
  • Budget resolution to repeal the Affordable Care Act (227-198)
  • Repeal of a Department of Education rule on school accountability (234-190)
  • Repeal of a Department of Labor rule regarding records of work-related injuries and illnesses (231-191)
  • Repeal of a rule requiring energy companies to disclose payments to foreign governments (235-187)
  • Repeal of an FCC rule barring internet providers from sharing data on customers' activities (215-205)
    (this one especially stinks!)
  • Repeal of the stream protection rule (228-194)

GPIG

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 am

I meant to write elected officials really DON'T care about service.

I'm not understanding the Affordable Care Act situation at all. I haven't been reading much of the goings on in Washington for some time. I recently did try to understand what's happening here because it is such a huge issue for all Americans. I just can't get it. It's now the law of the land according to the great Paul Ryan (I can't stomach even the sight or sound of him). I said to myself, I said self; well good, even though I'm not behind ACA for reasons that would take me forever to articulate, and still come out wrong, I figured this is what the people want and that's how government should work. Always a good thing in my opinion, even when I disagree with the underlying issue.

I then read it's going to collapse if XYZ isn't done to amend and would have no matter what. Insurance companies won't get into it because of it's precarious status due to ABC and etc etc. If nothing at all were done to ACA would it be ok, or did something really need to be done no matter who was in the White House? If anyone has or knows of any links where I can read a non partisan explanation of what the facts are presently I would be grateful.

Also rpaws I am not very good at written communication. I need inflection to be understood. Wozniak was trying to get Jobs to understand it IS possible to be gifted and decent at the same time, I think you may have misunderstood what I was attempting to paraphrase. I agree with old Waz and believe gifted people do appreciate their good fortune more often than not. Unfortunately, the Mercer types have to scream their hate and ugliness from the highest mountain and in turn get more attention.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:19 am

While I'm not a big fan of Huffington Post, they have a pretty comprehensive overview of the pros and cons and how the ACA could be improved (with links). Obama's suggestions for improvement are here: https://www.hhs.gov/about/budget/fy2017/budget-in-brief/index.html#budget (this was a link from the Huff Po page).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-obama-would-fix-obamacare_us_56bcd8d6e4b0c3c550506e19

The Republicons, on the other hand, have snuck in a few changes that may cripple the ACA, primary among them, telling the IRS that people who don't get health insurance won't be penalized (won't have to pay a penalty). This can lead to what is termed a "death spiral" where only the sick have insurance and insurance companies have to continue raising and raising premiums until it truly is unaffordable by people who aren't getting much in the way of subsidies.

Anyway, this is a place to start.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am

Many of the current problems of the ACA are Republican inflicted. It was, as many "starter" laws are, in need of improvement, but the Republicans were so determined not to ever let Obama get anything done that the improvements were never considered. But there were three things they did that made it particularly onerous, especially in states that refused to expand Medicaid.

1) They forced out the option of the government offering health care policies, because MONEY! The insurance companies wouldn't get those premiums.

2) Many states, all of them with Republican legislatures and governors, refused to expand Medicaid even though it would have saved them money rather than cost them. So only people at a ridiculously low income level qualified for the really low rates, and every one else's rates went up. In the states that did expand Medicaid, all the rates are much lower.

3) And this is the really awful one. Under the ACA, insurance companies were going to have to offer policies to all sorts of people who'd never been covered, who'd had little health care and were likely in very poor health, and they couldn't put caps on coverage. This was expensive, of course, and however evil you think insurance companies may, it was unfair to expect them to shoulder the whole burden.

So the ACA created "risk corridors" that would reimburse the insurance companies for a period of time, until more people could sign up and pay premiums and the markets could stabilize and they'd see exactly what their costs were. But Marco Rubio, bless his heart (in a Southern way), sneaked a bill into one of those omnibus bills in Congress that limited those payouts to 13% of what the companies were owed. They were outraged at being cheated, and that's the main reason why so many insurance companies pulled out of the ACA market.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:36 am

Excellent points.

The dems definitely realize there could be improvements. But my money is on republicons NOT helping one whit!

GPIG

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Thank you Lynx, and bpatters. I have come around and beleive we need the ACA. My original objection was the part saying: YOU MUST sign up, or you HAVE TO. Any time something in government comes down the pike with a YOU MUST attached to it, I don't hear much after that.

Like helmets when riding motorcycles, it's a really good idea to wear a helmet when riding but when told it's a law and that I have to..... I mean, it's MY head.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:25 pm

And also about Mercer... Unfortunately I need about 7 cell phones to operate my life and have one I really like that I keep ruining. I'm on the phone with ATT as I type and for 9 minutes have been in voice jail. That is directly related to Robert Mercer. Maybe he isn't as gifted a scientist as I believed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:13 pm

There was an article at the Daily Kos on this today:
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/4/1/1648830/-Nope-Obama ... tional-media

It points out that the ACA is doing fine - but it will still need changes to keep it going. It will go down if it is sabotaged.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:40 pm

GPIG, the MUST attached to the sign-up for the ACA was because the situation at that time was untenable. With no insurance, indigent and low income people were using hospital emergency rooms for their health care, which overloaded the ERs, cost the hospitals a ton of money, and didn't get the patients' the follow-up care they needed. Low- and even middle-income people were going without prescription drugs because they couldn't afford them.

The only way insurance can work is if there's a large enough pool of people paying in to cover the costs. Insurance companies can't afford to only cover the very ill -- they need enough healthier people paying premiums to keep the going.

I agree that it was a pretty draconian way to get people to enroll in insurance plans, but the Republican wouldn't even hear of a single-payer program, like Medicare, which would have covered everybody at reasonble rates. And, BTW, Medicare is as good as any private insurance I ever had, and better than most. Contrary to what the Republicans would have you believe, it isn't free, and I pay about $280 per month for health insurance. That does not include drug coverage, as I opted not to take Medicare Part D.

30 posts