Hay trough versus loose hay pile

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 am

Mildred - those are such lovely pictures. How lucky your piggies are to have you and their own "palace". I'm so interested in the way you have your kitchen set-up. I've toyed with the idea of allowing my piggies to "free-range", but have never found a convenient way to do it.

I live in a very small condo. And with so many piggies, I guess I'd have to rotate free-range time.

Do you cover your floors? Maybe you don't have to, since they look like they're tile. I have laminated wood floors, so they would have to be covered with something - another level of set-up and take down.

Oh, I would so like to have them roam - maybe I'll ask Seraphanjil to stop by and help me figure something out - I still have those peppers for her. . .!

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 am

Well, they don't roam these days, they dislike the slippy tiles! They stay on the area with their fleece etc. I have a pair of 'trays' lined with paper and topped with 'vet bed' or fleece, so it is waterproof!

Pixie and Bear HAVE been out across the tiles - they are pirates!!!

I used to have them very 'free range' but it created a huge amount of work!

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks Mildred! I'm determined to figure out some sort of free-range area - My piggies don't roam and/or play much, even when I'm cleaning their cages. I use a 5 foot plastic wading pool and put some toys and hay in there. But usually they find a place to settle or hide and stay their until I'm finished cleaning their home.

I think though, as with all things about these critters, over time they'll spread out and explore.

I love the idea of the doggie bed and those trays. So, I've added that to all my pages of ideas.

Thanks!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:27 am

I too am in Australia. I use fleece blankets then on top I use towels then on top of that Vetbed. They are in Pakenham Victoria. https://www.petnetwork.com.au/collectio ... een-backed Vetbed is great to be washed and draws moisture away from piggies.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 am

Why are you using fleece underneath all that? Fleece is a wicking layer, that allows liquid to go through to an absorbent layer underneath? I don't understand the purpose of putting it on the bottom.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:06 am

This is an old thread that was bumped by a spammer. I deleted the spammer but daisymay had replied.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:21 am

This is an old thread that was bumped by a spammer. I deleted the spammer but daisymay had replied.

Sorry lynx, didn't know it was a spammer.
Why are you using fleece underneath all that? Fleece is a wicking layer, that allows liquid to go through to an absorbent layer underneath? I don't understand the purpose of putting it on the bottom.
It is the way we have always done the girl's pen with the vet bed on top then the towel then the blankets. We find the girls stay drier this way and warmer in Winter and Cooler in Summer.

Feel free to delete my replies Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

Oh, don't worry about having replied. I could tell this was a spammer by how they signed up and then dug up an old thread.