Zoe's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 pm

The only thing I might have suggested is one of those cool two way remote cameras that allow you to talk to her, I think by using a phone app. No idea how well they would work but if you had funds to burn and she responded to your voice, you might be able to encourage movement. The reviews aren't stellar but it looks interesting:

Some analgesics help prevent/slow swelling which should also make a difference with the pain. I hope her foot heals quickly.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks Lynx for the information. It is just bad luck that this happened on one of the few weeks I work. I am retired and only pick up the odd shift to help out.

My real concern is Zoe's condition is not improving. She will move from one end of her 1 x 2 to the other end but she is still dragging her leg and is in pain. She is getting Metacam once a day. Thankfully she is eating hay and her veggies but I haven't seen her drink water on her own yet.

The vet thought the injury was either in the hip area or maybe even her back. Pinched nerve was suggested. My usual vet is back in tomorrow so I will call after work.

I have started her back on vitamin C just in case that has anything to do with it. She is eating very few pellets. I have seen Zoe at the pellet dish before this happened but now I am wondering if her sister was eating more than her share. Could a vitamin C deficiency cause something to come on suddenly?

I was hoping to see some improvement by now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 pm

I am guessing you feed a solid diet and a vitamin C deficiency is unlikely. I hope she improves!

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:54 pm

I calculated the vitamin C I was feeding which was within the range. I even added in more pepper slices. The only problem is I don't know how many pellets she is actually eating. I feed 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 tbsp. in the evening for the two pigs to share. This is half of the recommended 1/8 cup. I limited them due to sludge. KMS has added more vitamin C than Oxbow so I am ahead by just feeding KMS. I started supplementing her with extra C just in case. If she is eating half of the pellets she should be okay but I can't guarantee who eats more.

I was getting so stressed I had to leave for the afternoon. Getting the stressed out human out of the house was probably a good thing. I was delighted to see her out of her house eating hay when I got home. I haven't seen her walk yet so not sure of her pain level.

I have arranged to have my husband drop her off at the clinic in the morning for observation if she hasn't improved. I have an appointment to meet with her vet in the afternoon after work. Hopefully she will be better and on the mend by then.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Any idea why Zoe has started rumbling on and off around her sister as if she was in heat? She was spayed two years ago and uterus and ovaries were removed. Could it be some sort of dominance behavior? Both sows are 6 years old.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm

They might have left a stump of an ovary and she's got some residual hormone production.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Ditto bpatters. We have also found a few vets that do not remove the uterus but do remove the ovaries. There may be other drivers of hormones but the reproductive system is the most common.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks bpatters and Lynx: I have a vet appointment for her next Friday so I will ask her vet if she can think of anything. I know she had her ovaries and uterus removed but I didn't think about the stump. She was spayed two years ago but it has only been the last month or so that I have noticed this.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 pm

I lost my sweet little girl Zoe on July 25th. She was six years four months old.

She had been losing weight and not as interested in her pellets and hay. She would also sit in her cuddle cup and stare out for minutes at a time. I took her to her vet to request a full dental checkup including X-rays. Upon examination her vet found a massive tumor in her kidney area. Her vet felt it was fast growing because she didn't feel anything three months earlier when she had her wellness check.

I took her home because she still had some quality of life and still eager for her greens and pepper. I gave her some metacam that night to help with any pain. The next morning she wouldn't come out for her greens and I couldn't get her to eat anything but her pepper and maybe the odd strand of hay. I wasn't sure if the metacam had upset her stomach or if the tumor had progressed to the point of causing her problems.

I wanted to give her another day to see if she would come around but both exotic vets were going to be off the next day. Not all of the vets in the clinic are comfortable euthanizing exotics and I didn't want an inexperienced vet putting her to rest. Things were not going to get better for her and I didn't want her to suffer so I had her vet put her to sleep.

I still have her sister Abbey also six years four months.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Oh, I am so sorry, Delaine. Internal tumors are generally very difficult to remove and frequently attach to multiple organs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, Zoe. Comfort and joy to you. You are very much loved, and will always be remembered.

Hugs to you, Delaine. You did the right things. In my experience with this, one or two extra days (if that) would have been of very poor quality for her.

We will remember and honor her.