Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Loss of weight is dangerous because it frequently means a guinea pig is not eating enough or worse, not eating. It is important to keep food moving through the system.

I am so sorry about your guinea pig. The signs you are seeing (extreme weakness) are not encouraging. I know you have been trying to do your best for him. It doesn't sound like he is going to make it.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

My baby Prince is no more. His health was deteriorating each passing day. From last two days, he had stopped chewing also, inspite of forcibly putting the syringe back to his last molar. He had become very very weak and could hardly open his mouth. He was really struggling to survive and was in a lot of pain. No pain killers worked.

Prince was my first pet. He lived a happy and full life. He never had any health issues in his 7.2 years with me (he must be around 2-6 months or older when I got him). He was the most active and naughtiest of the gang. He was never a people's pig or a cuddly pig, but last few weeks he never left my side. He loved to sleep on my hand and being pet.

I will really really miss him. Will miss his soft fur, his wheeking, his "stunt" of climbing on the cage begging for food and then slowly and carefully climbing down to eat, the way he always irritated others and fought with them. I will miss everything about him.

I know he is happy and popcorning up there in heaven with his other buddies. He was the best thing that ever happened to me.
RIP Prince, my baby, my forever..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm

I am so sorry, Pooja Mehta. I know how much this hurts. I know you did your best. He did live a wonderful long life with you. You have our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him. You really worked hard to save him.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:38 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. You obviously provided a wonderful home for his since he lived to a good age.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm

My boar Sandy, 660 grams, has been scratching a lot these days. He has removed lots of hair near his stomach, sides and hind legs. His skin has become red, dry and a little flakey and his fur is rough. He doesn’t have any open sores yet (touch wood). He is maintaining his weight and has been acting normal- eating, pooping, peeing. Though his poops are soft. I wonder whether it is mites or fungus or bacterial infection?

I have a 10ml Ivermectin injection IP bottle and it says each ml contains:
Ivermectin IP-10mg
Benzyl alcohol IP-15mg
Propylene glycol IP-q.s.
Is it the 1% solution? How much should I dose Sandy with?
Also since I am treating Sandy, I will also treat his brother Cupid, 750 grams. How much should I dose him?

I have Clotrimazole cream-1% and Neosporin in hand. It is better if the cream is applied properly into the skin and kept open. But if I have to bandage him so that he doesn’t scratch, would it be ok if I cover him with gauze and secure it with a tape?

Should I give him antibiotics, painkiller or probiotics too?
I will be sending pictures to Lynx for attachment. Might be a little blurred because he was biting a lot.
Thanking you in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

No antibiotics. They are only needed for bacterial infections, and are not only useless otherwise, but can be downright dangerous.

No, that's a 10% solution, and should be diluted with 9 parts of propylene glycol or a vegetable cooking oil like Canola.
Here's the dosing chart and instructions: https://www.guinealynx.info/oral_ivermectin.html

You can use the cream or not, as you choose. Neither of them will do anything for mites, but might, repeat might, soothe the skin a little.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 pm

That is the one percent solution. It can also be used topically.

topical_ivermectin.html

Here are your pictures. Sure looks like mites to me!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Definitely Mites!

But Lynx, that solution is 10 mg per 1 ml. According to the oral ivermectin treatment thread, cited above, that's a 10% solution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Top of the page it says,

"Guinea Lynx' TOPICAL IVERMECTIN TREATMENT FOR GUINEA PIGS @ 0.5mg/kg USING IVOMEC INJECTION 1.0% SOLUTION"

A 1% solution is 10 mg/ml. The amount you dose is very tiny (2 or 3 drops or so).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Oops, my bad. Misplaced a decimal when I was doing the calculations.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 am

I'm thankful you are here when I misplace a decimal!