Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Seems like forever since I've been on here! Nickel, penny, and shammy all have nits and a few lice in their fur (I've only seen live ones in nickel, nits in the rest). What should I do about the fleece bedding? Do I just wash it in hot water and it'll be fine? Do I buy new fleece? Also, how do they get lice?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Just wash the fleece in hot water. You'll have to treat the lice with either ivermectin or Revolution.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Is it alright to feed my pigs (theyre all over 6 months) oxbow's young guinea pig food? A friend of mine gave me a bag of it after her foster pig got adopted... if not I can buy a bag of adult pellets, I just feel bad wasting food :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 pm

If you use the food, watch the bedding for powdery white calcium deposits. If you see them, switch to the timothy based product.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm

How much over six months? If they're less than a year, I might consider it. But if they're older than that, I'd donate the pellets to a shelter or a rescue.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

All of them are over a year old. I don't know of any shelters or people with young guinea pigs around me; that's why I was wondering if I could use it so it wouldn't go to waste.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I think it's best to go to the vet, but I don't want to waste a lot of money if it's nothing so I'm just making sure you agree that I should go...

Nickel sheds a LOT (there are times when chunks of fur come out, or if I pet her my hand is covered in fur). She also has dandruff looking flakes on her fur... on her stomach there's a bump (it reminds me of a mole, not an abscess) above her nipples, and the skin on her nipples comes off. Her poop is really soft and smells of dog poop, and it gets stuck on her nails and there is residue left on her butt hole (is that what you call it?).

Should I go to the vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Absolutely. The poop issue is probably the most important, but the vet can check out the other issues at the same time.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 pm

I probably seem like the worst guinea pig owner ever (I promise I'm not I'm just really paranoid!!) right now with the amount of times I come on here with questions, but my intuition is making me a bit unsettled. Penny has dry skin all over her body (she's had it for a long time) and when I brush her backwards - yes they don't like it but I wanted to see her skin - she cries out. She has a decent amount of hair being shed but not to the point where there's bald spots... I brushed her for a few minutes just now and the brush is packed with fur... she's also been a lot more roudy lately; she's mounting and chasing the other pigs a lot which she usually doesn't do often at all. Is this something vet worthy or am I just being paranoid? Should I give her a bath to get rid of the dry skin?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 am

You need to consider the possibility she has mites and/or a fungal infection.
mites.html
fungus.html

If she has mites, all guinea pigs must be treated. They can be very painful. Read over:
topical_ivermectin.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:42 am

She may also be developing ovarian cysts.

Ditto Lynx on the more likely cause(s), but you might want to get an ultrasound to check for cysts if mites and fungal treatment don't solve the problem.