Abbysinians

UP Lisa

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:26 pm

Help. I have been under the impression that the Abyssinians didn´t really require any more grooming than the Americans. However, I have been reading that they do. I didn´t think the hair was the type that would tangle. Also, how in the world could you really brush it?

I´m thinking I better not get one if they require much grooming.

Lisa

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:29 pm

What have you read about tangles?

Max didn´t tangle, but I did sometimes brush him in the directions of his hair. Kind of worked around his many rosettes. Often, running my hands over him took care of any lose hairs (they were then on ME, but...).

Jill

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:31 pm

Our pigs are both Abbys, and unless I am doing something terribly wrong, there really isn´t any grooming involved. I think sometimes if they have longer hair around their rumps, urine can wick up. We haven´t had that problem.

I think they are adorable with that wild hair and rosettes. It gives them character.

UP Lisa

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:36 pm

Hi. I´m glad to hear yours don´t tangle or really require grooming. I didn´t think so, but there´s so much inaccurate information out there. I think they are adorable, also.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:53 am

I have one ´abby´ she´s only got two rear rossettes making her hair grow forward(with a mohawk&and a ridge on her spine), but she´s not peruvian and has short hair.... i have no trouble with her hair, and like lynx, my little girl doesn´t require grooming!

you can also get abby/peruvian mixes with longer hair that may need more grooming...
Last edited by Erin8607 on Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:09 am

My two that have longer hair just need an occasional butt trim to keep the urine off. Really no big deal. Ginger, with her longer hair, occasionally gets a poop matted in her hair and I just cut it off. Her hair is much longer than an abby´s though. I don´t think you will have any problems at all!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:28 am

UPLisa, have you ever had guinea pigs? It´s one thing to read about them but it´s quite another to live with them. I am guessing many (if not most) pigs are pretty timid and you may join the list of people who had no idea what they were really like. They generally are NOT affectionate, you will feel used, it may take a long time for them to get used to you. If you have had cats or dogs, they are NOTHING like them.

Within the first week of getting my pigs I felt I had made a terrible mistake. It took me a long time to get used to and accept them for who they were and appreciate them. They still don´t like to be handled and I am basically just a slave. But being an honorable person, I got them knowing I would take care of them for their whole lives, I wouldn´t give up and try to get rid of them. I think alot of people don´t stick it out or never really connect with their pigs -- the ones who eventually try to pass them to someone else. I only met one person in my town with pigs. I heard of 3 other people trying to get rid of their pigs.

Given all the questions you have and reservations I read between the lines, you might think twice about getting pigs. And then there is the daily routine of care, which many people tire of.

Guinea pigs are not for everyone.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:02 am

My abby doesn´t really require any grooming, I think I run a brush through Bandit´s fur once a month just to get rid of any loose hairs. The same with my abby/cross pigs.

Here is a picture of Bandit, he´s all abby! :)
Last edited by Karen on Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jensway

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:29 am

I was wondering if anyone has a link to a page that would give pictures or descriptions of the different kinds of G.P.s . We have only had ours for about 4mths, so we are new and I would like to find out what kind they are. Just kind of curious.

They are sisters but don´t look alike. One favors her dad--slender body,sleek smooth hair with a reverse mohawk thing on her forhead. The other one favors mom--chubby body, short hair that kind of sticks out, I wouldn´t call it fluffy but defiently not sleek and smooth.

We got these from a boy that goes to PreKindergarten with my son. They have several and had taken 2 males into the vet to be fixed, well as it turns out one of the males was not totally fixed and he fathered 3 surprise litters with 3 of the females--so they had G.P.s that need a home.

We took 2 females and a friend of ours took 2 males. The boys mom was so glad, she just gave them to us no charge because she knew they would have a good home. We have both built C/C cages for them and are learning so much from this forum. Thank you all.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:39 am

Pictures of different breeds, from a link on Seagull´s page: http://www.meerschweinchen.de/pictures.html

On this page, Peepers and Max are both Abbys/Abby crosses: http://www.angelfire.com/rant/cavyoverload/ (the other pig, Steve, is an American Crested)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:19 pm

Karen, your pig is just adorable! A real sweetie.

stickyfroggi

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:27 pm

I like the pics of the breeds on this site, they´re great

http://users.senet.com.au/~anmor/

although its a breeder´s site.. grrr.