Mailbox Guinea Pig Emporia Kansas

JX4

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm

In our local newspaper this morning there was an article about a female guinea pig left in someone's mailbox. Seriously. A woman picked a random mailbox and left the poor piggy in it because she could no longer care for it. The person who found it took it to an animal shelter in Emporia, Kansas, where it went through a vet check and is now up for adoption. They did track down the woman who abandoned the pig but have not arrested or charged her. (!)

Ugh. If I didn't already have 7 guinea pigs and am at my limit I'd go get her. She looks like a decent little piggy from the picture.

Why would anyone put a guinea pig in a MAILBOX? I guess she thought it would be safe from predators there and would be found fairly quickly. But still, it was left with no food or water and there would have been no ventilation. There is a picture in the paper of the piggy sitting in the mailbox, which is one of those used in rural areas, the classic round top that sits on a post and is the shape and size of many of the small animal carriers you find in pet stores.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 pm

How scary it could be! And dangerous too! I think of the heat we are having these days. Tomorrow it will be in the low 90's.

I believe we have a couple members who live in Emporia (or used to). They are not active these days and I think they may no longer have guinea pigs (unsure).

JX4

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm

If they want to ask about the guinea pig, the shelter has named her Rosita. I hope she finds a good home.

Eawinaz

Post   » Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 am

That's ashame, I'm glad she is safe and at least now able to find a great loving home!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1