Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you Lynx and bpatters.

Will I need to dilute the 1% solution with propylene glycol?

Do I need to treat Sandy for fungus also?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

You can use it straight. But remember it is a very very tiny amount. Measure accurately.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

My piggies have finished their third dose of Ivermection but they are still scratching like crazy. I intend to give them one more (fourth) dose of Ivermection. Thier hairs have started growing back. I sanitise their cage with vinegar-water solution every three days and wash their bedding everyday in hot diluted bleach solution.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Why are they still scratching?

Also, should bleach be used only for their bedding or I can use it to clean their cage?

Kimera

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 am

The hairs look broken, which is one of the symptoms of fungus. Treating for fungal infection would not hurt and actually might relieve itching.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 11:12 am

Can you describe again what ivermectin product you are using and how much you are giving to each guinea pig, along with their weight?

And yes, do continue to treat with ivermectin. Does the skin look healthy?

More info on fungus in case you need it:
fungus.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Thank you Kimera and Lynx for replying.

I use the 1% injection solution topically. Sandy weighs 675 grams and I give him 0.03 cc. Cupid weights 750 grams and I give 0.035 cc.

I just noticed that Sandy has a bald patch on his back. Both the piggies coat and skin looks better as compared to before.

How long should I continue to give Ivermectin? Their fourth dose is on Thursday (11th May).

Can I bathe them with an anti-fungal shampoo while being treated with Ivermection? Or the Clotrimazole cream would be better? I am worried about them licking it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 1:43 pm

You can bathe them now that they've been on the ivermectin for a while.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I like the idea of the antifungal shampoo (though I suspect this is still just mites). You are treating a week apart?

You could shampoo them, rinse, and dry today then repeat on Thursday just before you give them the next topical dose.

You are welcome to send more photos to put up so we can see how they're doing.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 12:22 pm

I just gave a bath to my piggies. It was my first time and I used as little shampoo as I could. They were screaming like I was murdering them. Dried them with a hair dryer, but they dint seem to like it and stressed them out further. I had read that anti-fungal shampoos should be used once a week. If I give them another bath after two days with anti-fungal shampoo, wont it dry out the skin more??

I give Ivermection once in a week. I have sent their after bath pictures to Lynx.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 1:46 pm

You can wait longer than two days between anti-fungal baths. What shampoo did you use? I wait a week.

I've had occasional problems with fungus, and all my pigs have hated baths. I usually shampoo with Malaseb or something with similar ingredients. I wet them, lather the shampoo, and then take them out. They wait in my lap, wrapped in a towel, for ten minutes, while I give them treats. Then I rinse them carefully and dry them slowly and gently with a hair dryer on low heat. I hold the dryer as far away as I can. More treats help.

It's a huge pain, but it works.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 pm

With the hair drier, I make sure my hand is in the way so I can feel if it is too hot.

Lots of pics! Looks much improved!

Here you go with the pics!

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I used this shampoo:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... GVLLp5-khQ

I lathered the shampoo, massaged it a little and rinsed it off. I dint keep the shampoo on them for 10-15 minutes. I will try all your techniques next time. But when should I give them a second bath?

Lynx, thank you for your assuring words which means I am going in the right direction for both my piggies.